The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kicking - intentional (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24283-kicking-intentional.html)

Forksref Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:42am

I was working 2-man V game with another experienced official. He called kicking when the ball was passed and struck a foot. I thought it was not "intentional" so I let it go. I was L and it was passed into the post. He was T and, granted, he had a little better view. I had a B player between me and the A player (post). My point is, I think kicks are called too often. For me, I have to see some intentional movement of the foot/leg to make it a kicking violation. Your opinions?

Chess Ref Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:58am

Kicking It

I know I see it way too often called at the sub-varsity games I work. could be a lack of rules knowledge or people call it cause its expected ? I have had to explain to more than one coach the rule.

Player A attemts pass , hits Player B in leg,rebounds back off Player A's hand , goes OOB. Coach is screaming for a kick, the crowd wants a kick, all 12 in the crowd. I explain to coach , coach looks at me like I have lobsters coming out of my head. I Sigh and move on. .

bgtg19 Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:58am

Two rights

You are right. The kick must be intentional.

Your partner is right. He had a better look and must have seen some intent.

crazy voyager Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:59am

Agreed, must be intentional. The thing I think many officials do bad though is that they let players use the leg or foot to stop the ball, for me that's a kick (and my mentor) but many officials let that go. How ever if a pass streaks on a foot I won't call a kick, only if the player is intentionally stopping the ball with the lef or foot (now we also have a rule who says that intentionally kicking the ball away can be considered a Technical, that for me is when the ball's dead though).

Summary: Must be intentional, don't forget to call players who use the leg or foot to stop the ball.

Forksref Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by crazy voyager
Agreed, must be intentional. The thing I think many officials do bad though is that they let players use the leg or foot to stop the ball, for me that's a kick (and my mentor) but many officials let that go. How ever if a pass streaks on a foot I won't call a kick, only if the player is intentionally stopping the ball with the lef or foot (now we also have a rule who says that intentionally kicking the ball away can be considered a Technical, that for me is when the ball's dead though).

Summary: Must be intentional, don't forget to call players who use the leg or foot to stop the ball.

I need some clarification on what you mean by the leg or foot stopping the ball. Can I assume that you mean they move their leg to get in the path of the ball, even though they don't try to kick it? In this case, I'd call it a kick. If the leg is stationary on the floor and the ball hits it, I ignore it. This is what I mean by erroneously calling it a kick.