The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What kind of game would you prefer? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24276-what-kind-game-would-you-prefer.html)

tomegun Tue Jan 17, 2006 04:08am

This thread might be total BS. I will know after the Vivarin wears off and I can sleep.

A close game or a blow out? Or, should I say, is there a time during the season where you would like a blowout? I thought I was there the other day until I had a JC game that was a 79 point blowout! We had to really focus to make sure the losing team didn't get frustrated and nothing funky happened. If 79 points sounds bad, it was actually worse. The game started with a tap, dribble, alley-oop and one. There was probably 19:57 on the clock and the beginning of the end. Mentally these games are more challenging; my foot and knee was hurting. I don't think there was anything big wrong with them, it was just mental. Tonight we had overtime (D2 game) and I wasn't gassed until 2:20 left in OT. I think I had used up all my energy by then and I realized I was hungry. Nothing hurt like yesterday so I think the blowout was mentally harder. Both games turned out great and now I'm going to jump in the shower and pass out. Yes, it is 4am in the DC area and yes, the drive I just took proves that I'm a basketball junkie.

Vivarin is some good stuff!

Snake~eyes Tue Jan 17, 2006 04:16am

How long was the drive? What conference? If you can say, just curious.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 17, 2006 05:00am

I would prefer a pre-shot clock era game between a Bobby Knight coached Indiana Univ. team vs. a Dean Smith coached Univ. of North Carolina team.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 17, 2006 05:25am

Close, competitive games that go down to the wire.

These are the contests that challenge an official. You have to be sharp on every play because each possession counts.

Striving to get each one right is what it is all about.

RookieDude Tue Jan 17, 2006 05:26am

Close game or a Blow out you ask?
C'mon tomegun...that's easy.

I prefer the close game all the way...and I would bet you do to.

Blowouts are boring...no excitement...not much fun for anyone. Heck, even the fans whose team is winning aren't getting their moneys worth. They paid to be entertained...what kind of entertainment is it to watch a boring blowout?

Now...if a field house is jammed pack with spectators...equal amount of fans for each team...close game down to the wire...then throw in a "big" game (winner advances, loser out) for example...great coaches...great players...great crew...man, it doesn't get any better than that.

tomegun Tue Jan 17, 2006 09:55am

Yes, I would prefer a close game. I guess my question should have been is there ever a time when we don't mind a blowout. I had been on a string of close games and I didn't mind Sunday's blowout.

IREFU2 Tue Jan 17, 2006 09:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
This thread might be total BS. I will know after the Vivarin wears off and I can sleep.

A close game or a blow out? Or, should I say, is there a time during the season where you would like a blowout? I thought I was there the other day until I had a JC game that was a 79 point blowout! We had to really focus to make sure the losing team didn't get frustrated and nothing funky happened. If 79 points sounds bad, it was actually worse. The game started with a tap, dribble, alley-oop and one. There was probably 19:57 on the clock and the beginning of the end. Mentally these games are more challenging; my foot and knee was hurting. I don't think there was anything big wrong with them, it was just mental. Tonight we had overtime (D2 game) and I wasn't gassed until 2:20 left in OT. I think I had used up all my energy by then and I realized I was hungry. Nothing hurt like yesterday so I think the blowout was mentally harder. Both games turned out great and now I'm going to jump in the shower and pass out. Yes, it is 4am in the DC area and yes, the drive I just took proves that I'm a basketball junkie.

Vivarin is some good stuff!

I prefer a close game too. 3-person and lots of rotating!

M&M Guy Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:10am

It would really depend on when you ask me, but, for the most part, it has to be the close game. There's nothing better than adrenaline rush that comes with those kind of games. However, for those of us that work fairly often, I kind of like the occasional blow-out for a couple of reasons. First, it makes you appreciate the close ones a little more. Second, many times you do get to relax and scale it back a little. I know that could be dangerous; we still need to watch for frustration and the crazy stuff that can happen. But some of my easiest games have been blow-outs. One team is clearly better than the other, but both are well-coached enough to just continue what they're doing without showing up the other team, or getting frustrated.

So, if you ask me after 3 nut-cutters in a row, I'll tell you I'm ready for the blow-out. But, for the most part, the adrenaline junkie in me comes out wanting all the close ones.