The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   CCA Out of Bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24274-cca-out-bounds.html)

JCurrie Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:48am

Does anyone know why they eliminated the stop clock signal for out-of-bounds calls in college? It doesn't seem to impact things one way or the other, and I'm just wondering what their justification/reasoning was.

ChuckElias Tue Jan 17, 2006 08:52am

The men have not eliminated it. In fact, last year, the official's manual was adamant about using it.

The women have eliminated it b/c they want to look like the NBA.

IREFU2 Tue Jan 17, 2006 09:00am

Stop Clock Signal

I find myself not using it in the high school and have to make sure I use it whenever that clock needs to be stopped. Its a bad habit to have on the HS level, but looks great.

M&M Guy Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
The men have not eliminated it. In fact, last year, the official's manual was adamant about using it.

I'm not gonna feel like I'm in the NBA until I get a shirt with a number on it. ;)

The reason I've heard explained to me is it looks a little "calmer", or a little more "matter of fact", along the lines of "just another call". I think most timers already stop the clock when they hear the whistle, not when they see the hand in the air, so it eliminates some of the extra movement. (Heaven knows as we get older we all want to eliminate extra movements...)

As far as doing that mechanic in HS, that is one area I stuggle with occasionally. I know in IL, we've been told we need to use all Fed. mechanics if we want to advance in the post-season. So I have to still remind myself in games to put the open hand up before pointing. Sometimes it ends up looking like a long, sweeping motion - I start to put my hand out to point, then remember I have to put it all the way up, then put it back down to point. Real smooth, eh? My partners who know what I'm struggling with end up snickering at me as they go back down the court.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
[/B]
So I have to still remind myself in games to put the open hand up before pointing. Sometimes it ends up looking like a long, sweeping motion - I start to put my hand out to point, then remember I have to put it all the way up, then put it back down to point.
[/B][/QUOTE]Try putting one hand up all the way. Then drop that arm and point with the other arm. That'll slow you down and get the job done.

ChuckElias Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:11am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Try putting one hand up all the way. Then drop that arm and point with the other arm. That'll slow you down and get the job done.
Blech. You want him to wear a spiffy blue uniform and white gloves, too? Two hands looks like a traffic cop.

Use the same arm to stop the clock and to point.

M&M Guy Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:16am

Quote:

Quote:

So I have to still remind myself in games to put the open hand up before pointing. Sometimes it ends up looking like a long, sweeping motion - I start to put my hand out to point, then remember I have to put it all the way up, then put it back down to point.
[/B]
Try putting one hand up all the way. Then drop that arm and point with the other arm. That'll slow you down and get the job done. [/B][/QUOTE]

Slowing it down is what makes it look funnier. If I did it faster it wouldn't look as obvious.

I usually have to give myself a mental pre-game in the car on the way to game to go over with myself what level I'm working, mechanics, obvious rule differences, etc. just to get myself in the right frame of mind. Most of the time it's not an issue; sometimes I notice I do it late in a game - probably a result of getting a little mentally tired. But I work with other partners that do both HS and college, and for some of them their attitude is "so what, why not do college mechanics in a HS game?". That just doesn't sit right with me - if we're there to do a HS game, that's the game that's most important that night, and we will work it like a HS game. [soapbox = off]

I've got another mechanic I use in the women's college game. Invariably within the first couple of possessions, if I find I'm starting a ten-second backcourt count, my hand just continues on up and I fix my hair. Now, I'm not sure what those who are follicly-challanged would fix...

BOBBYMO Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:18am

Quote:

The women have eliminated it b/c they want to look like the NBA. [/B]
Why do you say this???

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:20am

Quote:

Quote:

Try putting one hand up all the way. Then drop that arm and point with the other arm. That'll slow you down and get the job done.
Blech. You want him to wear a spiffy blue uniform and white gloves, too? Two hands looks like a traffic cop.

Use the same arm to stop the clock and to point.

Shut up.

ChuckElias Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by BOBBYMO
Quote:

Why do you say this??? [/B]
They use NBA coverages; they use NBA "punch" for team-control fouls; they "walk-and-talk" while reporting; they use two hands to give numbers to the table. . .

Need I go on?

M&M Guy Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:26am

Quote:

You want him to wear a spiffy blue uniform and white gloves, too?
Hey, my wife likes that uniform. Especially when she's been bad and I have to...

Uh, never mind.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:28am

Quote:

[/B]
Invariably within the first couple of possessions, if I find I'm starting a ten-second backcourt count, my hand just continues on up and I fix my hair. Now, I'm not sure what those who are follicly-challanged would fix... [/B][/QUOTE]Well, I can't answer for any of the other baldys(baldies?), but, in the same situation, Dan usually goes for his nose and tries to make it look like really he meant to pick it all along.

That man is <i>suave</i>. <i>Suave</i>, I tell ya. The very epitome of <i>suave</i>-ness, fer sure.

Dan_ref Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:36am

Quote:

Quote:

Invariably within the first couple of possessions, if I find I'm starting a ten-second backcourt count, my hand just continues on up and I fix my hair. Now, I'm not sure what those who are follicly-challanged would fix... [/B]
Well, I can't answer for any of the other baldys(baldies?), but, in the same situation, Dan usually goes for his nose and tries to make it look like really he meant to pick it all along.

That man is <i>suave</i>. <i>Suave</i>, I tell ya. The very epitome of <i>suave</i>-ness, fer sure. [/B][/QUOTE]

Shut up.

BOBBYMO Tue Jan 17, 2006 05:58pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you say this???
They use NBA coverages; they use NBA "punch" for team-control fouls; they "walk-and-talk" while reporting; they use two hands to give numbers to the table. . .

Need I go on? [/B]
Chuck-

I know the court coverage and mechanics for NCCA-W.

My question marks were for your quote that you think that the reasoning behind this is because they want to " LOOK LIKE the NBA"

Are you saying thats the only reason the NCAA-W's mechanics and court coverages are set up that way??

ChuckElias Wed Jan 18, 2006 08:18am

Quote:

Are you saying thats the only reason the NCAA-W's mechanics and court coverages are set up that way??
Why else would they write a completely different manual from the men? The NBA signals don't communicate any more effectively, they just look different. They look like the NBA. So why change from NCAA signals (which used to be for both men's and women's officials) to NBA signals?

To look like the NBA.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)