The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   partner giving fans obscene gesture (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24263-partner-giving-fans-obscene-gesture.html)

johnfox Mon Jan 16, 2006 06:50pm

was working a bv game, when towards the end of the game,my partner gave the home crowd "the" finger. what would you do?

buckrog64 Mon Jan 16, 2006 06:54pm

exit out separate doors after you've showered and changed. Then not plan on working with him anytime too soon.

fonzzy07 Mon Jan 16, 2006 07:05pm

Report him to your association.

TravelinMan Mon Jan 16, 2006 07:21pm

Do what the great leader/philosopher Marcus Aurelius would have done: Try to convince him of the error of his ways. If he won't listen, realize that you won't be able to change him. I would not report him. Partners don't do that. He will hang himself if he continues his foolish, immature ways.

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 16, 2006 09:25pm

Make like it's a hockey game and get the puck out of there.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Make like a sheperd and get the flock out of there.

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by TravelinMan
I would not report him. Partners don't do that. He will hang himself if he continues his foolish, immature ways.
Bull****! A partner that engages in such unprofessional conduct brings dishonor and disrepute on me as his partner and the official's association that assigned us. His actions may well get me scratched from that school. His actions may cause my association to lose that school. In short, he's willfully causing me problems and potentially costing me money. He's made life more difficult for the next set of officials. He's degraded my passionate avocation. He's adding to the problems that we as officials all face from coaches, players and fans. You can bet your a$$ that my assigner is going to hear about it from me FIRST. And if I didn't, my assigner is going to have my head for letting him get blindsided when the coach or AD calls, and they will. They'll probably send video too. That's gonna cost me credibility and probably games from that assigner.

TimTaylor Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:41am

I'm with BITS - the conduct described is immature and grossly unprofessional. There is simply no excuse for this type of behavior. If he can't keep his emotions under better control he has no business being an official. It just makes it that much tougher for the majority of us who try to bring a professional approach to officiating. I would call my assigner and tell him that I would prefer not to work with that individual again and why.

JCrow Tue Jan 17, 2006 08:58am

You are over-reacting. I was at the game. It was a question of Mechanics. The Ref was merely indicating that the Bonus was in effect to the crowd. I'm sure his using the wrong fingers was an innocent mistake.

Man In Blue Tue Jan 17, 2006 09:59am

Actually he was just letting them know they were #1 in his opinion.

I would refuse to work with him again. I don't ever say that about a partner but that crosses the line. Partners have you're back. I would not trust him to be there for me after a stunt like that.

M&M Guy Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Make like a sheperd and get the flock out of there.

Make like a baby and head out.

Make like a tree and leaf.

Put an egg in your shoe and beat it.

It's amazing what comes into my head when when the meds wear off...

Oh, yea, the other thing that came into my head: report your partner, if there's some association or assignor involved. This may have been just an isolated incident, in which case you partner now knows it was unprofessional, and there's a real good chance he will never do it again. Or, maybe he's done it before, which this report adds another log to the fire, so to speak.

tjones1 Tue Jan 17, 2006 03:23pm

This should be the easiest call of the night. Report it, simple enough.

refnrev Tue Jan 17, 2006 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
This should be the easiest call of the night. Report it, simple enough.
---------------------------------------------------------

And don't work with the idiot again. If a school wants to know why, tell them. You're reputation can be linked with this clod.

TravelinMan Wed Jan 18, 2006 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:

I would not report him. Partners don't do that. He will hang himself if he continues his foolish, immature ways.
Bull****! A partner that engages in such unprofessional conduct brings dishonor and disrepute on me as his partner and the official's association that assigned us. His actions may well get me scratched from that school. His actions may cause my association to lose that school. In short, he's willfully causing me problems and potentially costing me money. He's made life more difficult for the next set of officials. He's degraded my passionate avocation. He's adding to the problems that we as officials all face from coaches, players and fans. You can bet your a$$ that my assigner is going to hear about it from me FIRST. And if I didn't, my assigner is going to have my head for letting him get blindsided when the coach or AD calls, and they will. They'll probably send video too. That's gonna cost me credibility and probably games from that assigner.

Whoa, BACK OFF. You are coming on way too strong with me. UNDERSTAND? Like I said he will hang himself. That is ALL I said.

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:59pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:

Whoa, BACK OFF. You are coming on way too strong with me. UNDERSTAND? Like I said he will hang himself. That is ALL I said.

No, what you said was that "Partners don't do that." Maybe in your neck of the woods you and the rest of the good old boys adhere to some strict code of honor among thieves. But where I come from, officials are required to behave in a professional manner and that means policing ourselves. Saying that "Partners don't do that," is just a weak excuse for not taking care of business. UNDERSTAND?