The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:12am
Never Stop Learning

Was asked a question by one of our senior officials tonight. With .3 on the clock a throw in is tipped by the defence and the ball goes in the basket. Would you count the basket as it was tipped by the defence and not tapped by the offence? He seemed to think it was not a try so it wouldn't count. I felt it was a live ball that was in play when touched by a player on the court and would count even though the offence didn't tap it for a try. What do you all say.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

No basket. Since its not a try the ball will be become dead when the horn sounds (ball in the air).
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 04:25am
Never Stop Learning

Good answer Snake~eyes. Thanks
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 04:30am
In Memoriam

Agree with Snake-Eyes. The defensive tip is a dead ball on the horn.

Your question doesn't really say for sure, but if the ball isn't through the basket when the horn goes off, it doesn't count. If the ball is through the basket before the horn(unlikely), it does count. If it is counted, it gets credited to the other team.

Iow, same answer as the NFHS forum, Ed.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

next question. If the horn goes off and the ball is inside the basket and the defender was the one who tipped it, do we count it?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Also, if the thrower-in were to get the ball in the basket WITHOUT defense tipping it, which it sounds like might have happened, that's a violation, anyway. So the basket wouldn't have counted in any case.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Also, if the thrower-in were to get the ball in the basket WITHOUT defense tipping it, which it sounds like might have happened, that's a violation, anyway. So the basket wouldn't have counted in any case.
once the throw in is tipped, the throw in is over. Without the horn or a whistle, count the basket (2 points).
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
next question. If the horn goes off and the ball is inside the basket and the defender was the one who tipped it, do we count it?
No the ball must have passed completely through the net in order for it to count by rule. I sure hope that never happens to me !
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All I can say is your better not hope its a one or 2 point ball games. YIKES.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 01:57pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
Quote:
No the ball must have passed completely through the net in order for it to count by rule. I sure hope that never happens to me !
Then, if the ball is tipped by the offense before the horn, and then gets caught in a *hung-up* net after, or during, the horn, then the basket does not count?
mick
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

If offense tipped it, its a try and can count

If its a try, the game isn't over until the shot is over even if it is in the air and not through the net when the horn goes off. If the defense tips it, it is not a "try" and the ball is dead when the horn goes off.

Similar case on someone shooting at the wrong basket, gets fouled, then the ball goes in. The basket doesn't count because it was not a try and the ball is dead as soon as the foul occurs.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
Then, if the ball is tipped by the offense before the horn, and then gets caught in a *hung-up* net after, or during, the horn, then the basket does not count?
mick
I do not have my rule book in front of me but I believe a field goal is scored when the ball (a) passes through or (b) remains in the basket.

So in the case it gets stuck it counts.

By extension I would count a basket once the ball enters it if the horn goes off on a non-try.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wwcfoa43
By extension I would count a basket once the ball enters it if the horn goes off on a non-try.
That's my reading of it, too -- that is, A goal is made WHEN (this is the time reference to compare to the horn) the ball enters the basket and (meaning, i think, as long as, or provided that, the ball then) remains in or passes through.

If the timing was menat to be otherwise, the wording would be, "A goal is made when a live ball remains in or passes through the basket from above."

Of course, I'm "certain" that this case wasn't considered when the specific words were written.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wwcfoa43
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
mick
I do not have my rule book in front of me but I believe a field goal is scored when the ball (a) passes through or (b) remains in the basket.

So in the case it gets stuck it counts.

Sorry but this is wrong. Think about the Rip Hamilton dunk last year that hit him in the head and went right back up through the goal. The basket didn't count and play continued. It has to pass completely through meaning net and all to be counted as a basket.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry but this is wrong. Think about the Rip Hamilton dunk last year that hit him in the head and went right back up through the goal. The basket didn't count and play continued. It has to pass completely through meaning net and all to be counted as a basket.
Don't be sorry. You didn't make the rule, but please would you show me the corresponding NFHS rule and how it is the same or different from the NBA rule?
Thanks.
mick

Closed Thread