The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Brain Dead (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24206-brain-dead.html)

IREFU2 Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:44pm

I had a brain dead moment on the court tonight. I called a foul on A1 and just as I did, my contacts went crazy and I forgot who I call the foul on. It was a shooting foul. My partner didnt see it and the table was no help either. What is the proper proceedure for this? Do you just give a team foul to A team and just have B shooter shoot the two fouls? This never happened before. I am stressing about this! A rule citation would be good too.

PS2Man Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:49pm

You could call in inadvertent whistle if you have not idea what you just called. I do not know if there is anything you will find for an official just having a complete breakdown. Next time take your time and do not get in a big hurry.

mplagrow Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:22pm

No rulebook rules allow for just charging the team with a foul. Your choices are to pick somebody, or pick up the flag. Metaphorically speaking.

johnfox Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:22pm

wow, that's a tough one. i did that about 10 years ago in a middle school game. i actually called the players together to see if they would be honest enough to help me out.shockingly the player that fouled, told me he did. i thanked him for his sportsmanship. we shot the ft's and the game continued without any problem.

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:33pm

PS2 said it best. Slow down and do not get in a hurry to leave the spot where you called a foul. Even if your contact went crazy, you still should have stayed a second or two longer to make sure you had the proper player that fouled.

Peace

IREFU2 Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:54pm

Yeah, I blew it!

RefNVa Fri Jan 13, 2006 02:49am

I've had this happen once or twice, I simply looked @ the offended team and very sternly said, "OK, who's the shooter?". It worked or at least I think it did!

cdaref Fri Jan 13, 2006 04:05am

[sorry, brain fart in my response] [pffft]

zebraman Fri Jan 13, 2006 09:13am

The table crew can be a good resource. Maybe they could tell you who fouled. If it's a girls game, just ask the players. :)

Z

Texas Aggie Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:44am

I've dropped a number a time or two before when my partner had a simultaneous whistle. The learning experience here is to be aware of who's playing where so you can have a good idea of, based on where the foul occured, who likely committed it.

But, these things are going to happen. That's why we should always VERBALIZE the call -- "red, 42, hack, white 22 shooting 2." I've had to get used to doing that in football (without the whistle, of course) to keep track of numbers on fouls there. At least in hoops, you don't have to remember it too long.

ChrisSportsFan Fri Jan 13, 2006 05:25pm

Ref: "Hey Captain, who was that foul on?"
Captain: "I don't know"
Ref: "Dang, then I have to guess. I think it was you post player"
Captain: "It was on #11 Mr. Ref"
Ref: "Thanks for your help Captain"

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 13, 2006 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I've dropped a number a time or two before when my partner had a simultaneous whistle. The learning experience here is to be aware of who's playing where so you can have a good idea of, based on where the foul occured, who likely committed it.

But, these things are going to happen. That's why we should always VERBALIZE the call -- "red, 42, hack, white 22 shooting 2." I've had to get used to doing that in football (without the whistle, of course) to keep track of numbers on fouls there. At least in hoops, you don't have to remember it too long.

Never say 'hack'. Trust me on this one.

Dan_ref Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:30pm

This stuff aint that hard. You call a foul you have to have a number in mind when you go to the table. See? It's simple...foul, number...foul, number... Never go to the table without a number in mind. In fact don't even move before you have a number. It might not be the absolute correct number, but it's a number. btw, never ask the players who the foul is on. If you have to ask someone ask your partner.

Quote:

Originally posted by 26 Year Gap

Never say 'hack'. Trust me on this one.

Why not?

26 Year Gap Sat Jan 14, 2006 08:19am

It is inflammatory. It infers that a team is a bunch of hackers. Fine to tell your partner at halftime assuming there are no eavesdroppers from Alaska in the area.

ChrisSportsFan Sat Jan 14, 2006 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

btw, never ask the players who the foul is on.

Really? Please expand on this.