The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   American Flag location on an officials' shirt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24201-american-flag-location-officials-shirt.html)

CTom Thu Jan 12, 2006 07:23pm

Where is the best place to sew an American flag on a jacket or referee jersey please?
Some old geezer told my partner she was "anti-American" for wearing it high on the back of her jacket. He said "everybody knows it should be above the heart". All three refs that night (two high school) that had flags, had them sewn high on their backs. I have a feeling the distributor sewed them there.My jacket does not have a flag on it. I'll have mine sewn on my jersey (because the jacket has a lining & is tough to sew on) .

Any knowledgable patriots out there with answers?

Thank you.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:41pm

I don't wear a flag. Some do, some don't. If one wears it on the shirt, all 2 or 3 should. So I just avoid the issue.

But when we did wear them right after 9/11, we wear them on the left sleeve with the blue field closest to the heart.

Professional officials are the only ones I've ever seen wear it on the back, below the collar.

bdub712 Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:48pm

I have worn one since 9/11 and get some comment here and there but nothing negative. I wear it 2 in. above the cuff on my left sleeve. The flag has a white border instead of the gold, but I have seen both kinds.

God Bless America,

PS2Man Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:26pm

Why not talk to the local association to find out. That is who you should listen to. We can only tell you what we do in our local area.

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:04pm

Like said you are going to have to talk to the people in your group, board or association. In my state we cannot wear the American Flag on our left shoulder. We already have a state patch on that side. If we wear an American Flag at all, it has to be on our right shoulder according to state by-laws. From my understanding the right shoulder is the proper place you wear it regardless of uniform (that could be wrong but that is what I have heard or remember).

I would not call someone unpatriotic for wearing an American Flag on their back. I think we do a lot of things in this country that do not properly honor this symbol and most Americans are not educated enough to know when those times are. I also do not wear any American Flag on any officiating uniform, except for football. September 11 happened during the football season and more officials rushed out to put the flag on their uniform. You hardly see anyone with out them on the football field. When basketball season rolled around that year, hardly anyone wore them or put them in the proper place. I choose to not have an American Flag because I am not on a regular crew like I am in football when I officiate basketball games and I do not want to put them on shirts just to match officials when this symbol is not worn consistently by everyone.

Peace

alfreedog Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Like said you are going to have to talk to the people in your group, board or association. In my state we cannot wear the American Flag on our left shoulder. We already have a state patch on that side. If we wear an American Flag at all, it has to be on our right shoulder according to state by-laws. From my understanding the right shoulder is the proper place you wear it regardless of uniform (that could be wrong but that is what I have heard or remember).

I would not call someone unpatriotic for wearing an American Flag on their back. I think we do a lot of things in this country that do not properly honor this symbol and most Americans are not educated enough to know when those times are. I also do not wear any American Flag on any officiating uniform, except for football. September 11 happened during the football season and more officials rushed out to put the flag on their uniform. You hardly see anyone with out them on the football field. When basketball season rolled around that year, hardly anyone wore them or put them in the proper place. I choose to not have an American Flag because I am not on a regular crew like I am in football when I officiate basketball games and I do not want to put them on shirts just to match officials when this symbol is not worn consistently by everyone.

Peace

I wear the Flag on the back of my shirt, just below the collar so it can and is more visible. Also that when I have my back to the crowd which is most of the time that is thing that is most visible. Also for me it keeps me focus on the freedom I have and the liberty I express. As you can see wearing the Flag to me is a very important thing and I try not to make it something special for everyone. If you do decide to wear the Flag make sure the blue is always facing forward and not backwards. Meaning the Flag is never in retreat. The US Code does not specifically address the positioning of the flag patch. It is appropriate to wear an American flag patch on the left or right sleeve. When worn on the left sleeve, the union would appear towards the front and the stripes would run horizontally toward the back. When worn on the right sleeve, it is considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the observer’s right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.

Snake~eyes Fri Jan 13, 2006 01:02am

I like the idea of wearing the flag on the back but my association has no such rules so I don't wear a flag.