The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Up Close and Personal.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2420-up-close-personal.html)

rainmaker Wed May 30, 2001 05:53pm

Rule book 9-10-1b: "A player shall not while closely guarded in his/her frontcourt, control the ball for five seconds in an area enclosed by screening teammates."

Case book 9.10.1D: "Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt...positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane...Ruling: This is considered to be a closely-guarded situation and a violation in five seconds ... if any B player is within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is attempting to gain control of the ball."

Have any of you ever seen this? Ever called it? Has it ever been on the test?

Mark Dexter Wed May 30, 2001 06:25pm

I must say, I've never seen this nor have I thought of it. It seems like the reverse of the situation where A1 is guarded by B1 for 3 seconds and then B2 for the remaining 2.

Stupid me, however, I left my rulebook at school so can't really comment much on this situation tonight.

Dan_ref Wed May 30, 2001 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Rule book 9-10-1b: "A player shall not while closely guarded in his/her frontcourt, control the ball for five seconds in an area enclosed by screening teammates."

Case book 9.10.1D: "Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt...positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane...Ruling: This is considered to be a closely-guarded situation and a violation in five seconds ... if any B player is within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is attempting to gain control of the ball."

Have any of you ever seen this? Ever called it? Has it ever been on the test?

Never seen it, never called it, I don't think I've ever seen
it on a test.

Mark Padgett Thu May 31, 2001 12:59am

Ya' know that Disney cartoon, "Goofy On Sports"? I think I've seen it there.

bob jenkins Thu May 31, 2001 08:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

it on a test.

IIRC, it was on last year's part 2 test. The issue being whether this particular rule applied only in the front court, or also in the backcourt.

Danvrapp Thu May 31, 2001 08:07am

Didn't I see the Globe Trotters try this once.....?

Dan_ref Thu May 31, 2001 09:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

it on a test.

IIRC, it was on last year's part 2 test. The issue being whether this particular rule applied only in the front court, or also in the backcourt.

Thanks (as I was writing my post I just knew someone would
prove me wrong!) :)

rainmaker Thu May 31, 2001 11:05am

Quote:

Thanks (as I was writing my post I just knew someone would
prove me wrong!) :) [/B]
And of course it would be Bob Jenkins, who keeps us all in line!!