The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Ball Administration (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24179-jump-ball-administration.html)

johnnyrao Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:23pm

A1 is lining up during a jump ball facing the center circle about even with the 28 foot line. His back is to Team A's basket. Team A has a pre-set play since their center is about 5 inches taller than Team B's center. The play is designed so A's center tips direct to A1 who turns and drives towards the basket. I had seen this team do this in a prior game. As the teams line-up for the tap B1 lines up behind A1 so he can not turn and drive towards the basket. I am positioned next to Team A's coach ready to chop the clock to start the game. He keeps telling me that B1 can not line up behind his player. I did not call it becuase I think that as long as they are not on the center circle there is nothing wrong with this. I don't say anything either because I am not sure (I think I'm right). After looking it up in the rule book I can not find a specific reference to this being wrong. I still believe I am right on this and, as long as they are not on the circle, there is nothing wrong with this. B1 was not so close that A1 could not get a full step if he had the ball and turned around. Am I correct and, if not, can someone tell me where this is in the rules. I have this team again in a few weeks and it may come up again.

mick Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnnyrao
A1 is lining up during a jump ball facing the center circle about even with the 28 foot line. His back is to Team A's basket. Team A has a pre-set play since their center is about 5 inches taller than Team B's center. The play is designed so A's center tips direct to A1 who turns and drives towards the basket. I had seen this team do this in a prior game. As the teams line-up for the tap B1 lines up behind A1 so he can not turn and drive towards the basket. I am positioned next to Team A's coach ready to chop the clock to start the game. He keeps telling me that B1 can not line up behind his player. I did not call it becuase I think that as long as they are not on the center circle there is nothing wrong with this. I don't say anything either because I am not sure (I think I'm right). After looking it up in the rule book I can not find a specific reference to this being wrong. I still believe I am right on this and, as long as they are not on the circle, there is nothing wrong with this. B1 was not so close that A1 could not get a full step if he had the ball and turned around. Am I correct and, if not, can someone tell me where this is in the rules. I have this team again in a few weeks and it may come up again.
Yer good, johnnyrao. :)

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 12, 2006 03:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by johnnyrao
A1 is lining up during a jump ball facing the center circle about even with the 28 foot line. His back is to Team A's basket.

As the teams line-up for the tap <font color = red>B1 lines up behind A1 so he can not turn and drive towards the basket</font>. I am positioned next to Team A's coach ready to chop the clock to start the game. He keeps telling me that B1 can not line up behind his player.

If B1 is directly behind stationary A1, it's regarded as a screening situation and B1 has to give A1 a normal step to turn around in. If A1 turns and drives, and there's contact before A1 takes his normal step, B1 gets charged with the foul. Rules reference is NFHS rule 10-6-3(a).

Iow team A's coach was right if B1 sets up closer than a step behind A1.

johnnyrao Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:31am

Thanks guys. I re-read my original post and in one point I said he lined up too close and then I changed it later. Either way I now understand what the ruling is and I will be prepared for thsi in the future.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I read the play as the coach complaining that B1 couldn't stand there. If I read it correctly, the coach was wrong.

It is true that B1 could be called for a foul if his position resulted in contact, be the mere act of standing there is not contrary to the rules. (Had this been on the circle, B1 would have been asked to move. Had B1 moved to a similar position on the circle during the "restricted period", the B1 would have been guilty of a violation.)

FrankHtown Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:58am

If A1 gets the ball, aren't the time and distance irrelevant?

If A1, in possesion of the ball turns around and contacts B1, wouldn't that be a player control foul?

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I read the play as the coach complaining that B1 couldn't stand there. If I read it correctly, the coach was wrong.

It is true that B1 could be called for a foul if his position resulted in contact, be the mere act of standing there is not contrary to the rules. (Had this been on the circle, B1 would have been asked to move. Had B1 moved to a similar position on the circle during the "restricted period", the B1 would have been guilty of a violation.)

Yup, shoulda been plainer on that one. Legal to set up within a step- until contact occurs.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
If A1 gets the ball, aren't the time and distance irrelevant?

If A1, in possesion of the ball turns around and contacts B1, wouldn't that be a player control foul?

Yes to both questions.