The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Maryland/Duke (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24176-maryland-duke.html)

tjones1 Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:40pm

They just had a blarge I heard. Went double foul... I did not see it, however I heard all three officials had a call. Is this true??

zebraman Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
They just had a blarge I heard. Went double foul... I did not see it, however I heard all three officials had a call. Is this true??
I'm waiting for someone to post that a triple whistle is OK and that we should all call in someone else's area to "get it right."

I'm certainly not perfect, but I've never had a blarge with any of my partners. I can't imagine two college officials both signaling on double-whistle before making eye contact. Maybe it was so loud that none of the officials knew that there was a double whistle or even a triple whistle?

Z

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:12pm

I've had a triple whistle before. We had eye contact before we signalled though. I made eye contact with the other guys because I was scared $4!7L3$$.

JRutledge Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:17pm

Where did the contact take place? If the contact was in the lane, I can easily see all three officials having a whistle. I did not see the play so I have no opinion on the play.

Peace

Dan_ref Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

I'm waiting for someone to post that a triple whistle is OK and that we should all call in someone else's area to "get it right."

I'm certainly not perfect, but I've never had a blarge with any of my partners. I can't imagine two college officials both signaling on double-whistle before making eye contact. Maybe it was so loud that none of the officials knew that there was a double whistle or even a triple whistle?

Z

I'm waiting for some clown to post that it could never happen to him.

Oh wait...nevermind...

zebraman Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

Z

Oh wait...nevermind...

Real nice. Never said it couldn't - said it hadn't. Surprised that it happened to D-1 guys. Should I not be?

Z

RookieDude Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:36pm

Quote:

I'm certainly not perfect
Ahhhh...don't be so hard on yourself z.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:37pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

Z

Oh wait...nevermind...

Real nice. Never said it couldn't - said it hadn't. Surprised that it happened to D-1 guys. Should I not be?

Z

Should you not be? What am I, your mother?

You should be what you are.

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:37pm

I see some triple whistles every year in NBA games.

I know, I know....

But it goes to show you that they are very possible. I think if the call happens, as Rut mentioned, in the lane (near the top of the lane imo), then a 3-whistle is actually expected.

Z,

You must be one helluva ref.

tomegun Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:18am

Z, I know what you mean but don't speak so fast. It can easily happen. I think this happened during a televised game a couple of seasons ago.

IREFU2 Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:55am

Another Post about the Blarge

Please join us in the other post about the blarge!

zebraman Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I see some triple whistles every year in NBA games.

I know, I know....

But it goes to show you that they are very possible. I think if the call happens, as Rut mentioned, in the lane (near the top of the lane imo), then a 3-whistle is actually expected.

Z,

You must be one helluva ref.

Hmmmm, I didn't mean to come off as a know-it-all or ignorant on my post. But I re-read my post and I can see why it was perceived that way. Sometimes typing fingers don't express thoughts very well.

I was trying to imply that the crowd must have been so loud that the officials couldn't hear that they had a double-whistle (which would explain why two D-1 officials both signaled without making eye contact).

Z

ChuckElias Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:01am

Quote:

I was trying to imply that the crowd must have been so loud that the officials couldn't hear that they had a double-whistle (which would explain why two D-1 officials both signaled without making eye contact).
I think another possibility is that some top-level officials often give the signal without stopping the clock first. In other words, they go right to the PC signal (or worse, they just point -- JPS syndrome). If you get two -- or three -- guys on a crew that do that, it makes it much easier to imagine the blarge happening.

JMO, but I think this is one rules difference (interpretation, really) where the NCAAW have it right.