The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   moving to Boise Idaho (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24151-moving-boise-idaho.html)

blewthat Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:58pm

anyone from Boise area and able to tell me what it will be like moving to Boise. I will have one full varsity year under my belt. Will have some good references coming with me. I am 29. What should I expect: how many games to do a week, varsity vs. jv? Also, are there any good camps in the area that I might go to during this summer in order to smooth my transition into the area?

whistleone Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:39pm

I worked in Boise for 2 years before moving to Missouri. The Boise area is in District 3 when it comes to officiating. All the schools in that district have a contract with the official's association and only officials from the association are to be used for games at those schools.

Current pay for varsity is $47. JV is $33. Travel is paid to one official (usually one of the varsity officials who is supposed to coordinate ride sharing).

All games are assigned by a central assignor. Assignment meetings are held about once a month. In a given month I would receive anywhere from 5-15 dates (depending on my availability).

Officials are rated at the beginning of the year and assignments are based on those ratings. Ratings range from JV 5 to Varsity 1. JV 4's and 5's receive only JV and below. JV 3 officials work primarily JV games but can fill in for Varsity officials when needed. Varsity 1 and 2 officials work almost exclusively varsity games.

Like most places, there are some politics present within the association. Your first year, you'll probably be rated as a JV official. Prove yourself during that year and you'll move up fairly quickly.

Here's the website for the District 3 Official's Association: http://www.idahoofficials.com/ Feel free to email me if you want anymore info. I can also give you email addresses for a few of the officials out there.

*Edited to appease the grammar gods.*

[Edited by whistleone on Jan 11th, 2006 at 03:09 PM]

RookieDude Wed Jan 11, 2006 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blewthat
anyone from Boise area and able to tell me what it will be like moving to Boise.
I went to college at nearby Nampa, ID. (NNU) and taught/coached for a year in that area...so I know a little about it.

From what I remember...the Disco bars were great!

Bogus Basin Ski Resort is a lot of fun!

The blue turf at BSU looks kind of funny. ;)

rockyroad Wed Jan 11, 2006 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

anyone from Boise area and able to tell me what it will be like moving to Boise.
I went to college at nearby Nampa, ID. (NNU) and taught/coached for a year in that area...so I know a little about it.

Hmmm...disco bars and NNU just don't seem to go together in my mind! Did you have an English Prof named Kevin Dennis?? He's my cousin - been there quite a while.

RookieDude Wed Jan 11, 2006 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm...disco bars and NNU just don't seem to go together in my mind! Did you have an English Prof named Kevin Dennis?? He's my cousin - been there quite a while.

LOL...you are absolutely correct...it's a wonder I didn't get kicked out.
No drinking or dancing was allowed at this school.
Heck, even going to the movies was considered taboo.

Sorry, I don't remember your cousin's name(graduated in 1979)...but I DO remember the VP's name, Mr. Ford. Whew, what a beautiful daughter he had! ;)

rockyroad Wed Jan 11, 2006 03:24pm

Quote:

LOL...you are absolutely correct...it's a wonder I didn't get kicked out.
No drinking or dancing was allowed at this school.
Heck, even going to the movies was considered taboo.

Sorry, I don't remember your cousin's name(graduated in 1979)...but I DO remember the VP's name, Mr. Ford. Whew, what a beautiful daughter he had! ;)

Nope...Kevin started teaching there in 84 (or maybe 83)...and does Dr. Ford's beautiful daughter now go by the name Mrs. RookieDude???

RookieDude Wed Jan 11, 2006 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
does Dr. Ford's beautiful daughter now go by the name Mrs. RookieDude???
Nope...but, there is a story there. ;)
* Good Friend
* Bank Robbers
* Runaway Bride
* College Prof.

ahhh...the good ol' days.