The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   illegal numbers (7 and 8) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24147-illegal-numbers-7-8-a.html)

SamIAm Tue Jan 10, 2006 07:55pm

two illegal numbers in the book and on the players backs.
Penalize when they enter the game or at the beginning of the game?

Penalize each separatley or one penalty for both?

My thoughts are penalize as they enter the game, separetly.
Please confirm or deny!

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 10, 2006 08:11pm

Confirm.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 11, 2006 08:40am

What level? Certainly in "rec league" games I've seen illegal numbers -- but they were always ignored (appropriately, imo).

I've never seen one in an in-season JH, HS, NCAA game.

SamIAm Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
What level? Certainly in "rec league" games I've seen illegal numbers -- but they were always ignored (appropriately, imo).

I've never seen one in an in-season JH, HS, NCAA game.

It is not unusual in the rec league, however this is a very small private highschool that quite honestly doesn't have the means to fix it. As a general rule, In rec league games, I ignore problems with illegal numbers if the shirts are supplied by the league or if the league is 10/u or lower.

Here is how I handled the issue last night. We shot a T for #7 starter to begin the game. #8 sub entered the game in the 4th qtr with the score 71-20, and I ignored the illegal number at that point.

RefNVa Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:31am

Happens quite a bit here, mostly with the independent religious schools, I just ignore it and use the NBA 2 handed mechanic when reporting to the table

26 Year Gap Wed Jan 11, 2006 07:04pm

Don't know why Thing 1 & Thing 2 popped into my head. I had a couple of games with Quebec teams playing Vermont teams. I ignored the illegal numbers.

Stat-Man Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14am

We had a MS 8th grade Girls B-Game where the opposing team had a #9. With only 12 players between their opponent's A and B team, I thought it was odd. But I figured they might have had all their other available numbers with their 7th grade squads that we did't play.

I chose not to point the illegal number out to the officials, and they used both hands for the one time #9 committed a foul.

[Edited by Stat-Man on Jan 12th, 2006 at 11:00 AM]

bob jenkins Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm

It is not unusual in the rec league, however this is a very small private highschool that quite honestly doesn't have the means to fix it. As a general rule, In rec league games, I ignore problems with illegal numbers if the shirts are supplied by the league or if the league is 10/u or lower.

Here is how I handled the issue last night. We shot a T for #7 starter to begin the game. #8 sub entered the game in the 4th qtr with the score 71-20, and I ignored the illegal number at that point.

The coach should explain the situation to the referees and to the opposing coach before the game and get the agreement that, for this game, the numbers are legal. Assuming 71-20 is something of a typical score, most opposing coaches would agree.