The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Family Affair. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24143-family-affair.html)

Jerry Blum Tue Jan 10, 2006 02:22pm

This weekend my Dad, Sister and I are officiating a Girls Varisty game together. My Dad has a friend that is a reporter that is going to do a story about it after the game. He has done some research and can't seem to find another instance where 3 family members have officiated the same game.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experiences with family members and officiating together.

PS. I don't particularly like the fact that we are having a story done about us but the fact that they haven't been able to find another instance of this, at least in Illinois, makes it sort of cool.

Nate1224hoops Tue Jan 10, 2006 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry Blum
This weekend my Dad, Sister and I are officiating a Girls Varisty game together. My Dad has a friend that is a reporter that is going to do a story about it after the game. He has done some research and can't seem to find another instance where 3 family members have officiated the same game.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experiences with family members and officiating together.

PS. I don't particularly like the fact that we are having a story done about us but the fact that they haven't been able to find another instance of this, at least in Illinois, makes it sort of cool.

I know of a father-son combo who used to work lost of games here in VA, but never heard of a 3 man crew all being of the same family.

Snake~eyes Tue Jan 10, 2006 02:32pm

Father/Son is common, nothing special there. Now a 3-man crew of the same family is new to me. Sounds cool. Good luck.

M&M Guy Tue Jan 10, 2006 02:40pm

There are a couple of father-son combos in our association, but no father-daughter that I know of, or three officials in one family.

Sounds like fun. Who's buyin' after the game?

RollTide Tue Jan 10, 2006 02:48pm

We had a father and 2 sons combo in our association up until 2 years ago. There were also a brother/uncle and 1st/2nd cousin from the same family. There were many instances when a combination of the 3 of them worked games together.

rainmaker Tue Jan 10, 2006 02:48pm

In our association this year we have two brothers, and the older man's two daughters. The older man also has a son who has reffed in our association, but he's moved away recently. I don't know if they've ever worked a 3-whistle game together, but I'm sure there have been a number of games worked by them in various 2-whistle combinations.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 10, 2006 03:05pm

Quote:

This weekend my Dad, Sister and I are officiating a Girls Varisty game together.
That's great, Jerry. Enjoy the hell outa that game. Gonna make your Dad the R? It'll probably be the first time that he's been in charge of anything since you and your sister were born. :)

Andy Tue Jan 10, 2006 03:20pm

In my area, we had three brothers that were all very good officials. I think the oldest brother has retired now from officiating. I can't say for sure, but I would be willing to bet that the three of them have worked a lower level college game together.

Jerry Blum Tue Jan 10, 2006 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
There are a couple of father-son combos in our association, but no father-daughter that I know of, or three officials in one family.

My Dad's buying of course. I always take the free meals when I head home.:p

M&M Guy Tue Jan 10, 2006 03:44pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy

My Dad's buying of course. I always take the free meals when I head home.:p

And there's probably a couple of bags of laundry, too?!

Jerry Blum Tue Jan 10, 2006 04:18pm

Nope. No Laundry, wife and I have to take care of that now.

Forksref Tue Jan 10, 2006 04:49pm

We have a father and 2 sons on the same FB crew here.

Forksref Tue Jan 10, 2006 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

This weekend my Dad, Sister and I are officiating a Girls Varisty game together.
That's great, Jerry. Enjoy the hell outa that game. Gonna make your Dad the R? It'll probably be the first time that he's been in charge of anything since you and your sister were born. :)

Mom will be calling the shots from the stands.

26 Year Gap Tue Jan 10, 2006 05:53pm

Quote:

Nope. No Laundry, wife and I have to take care of that now.

What's this 'we' stuff? You take it out of the duffel and she washes it? :D

JCrow Tue Jan 10, 2006 05:56pm

Congratulations. That is a great Post. The three of you should be very proud of each other! Rules Talk around the Thanksgving Table might get kind of boring for the civilians but who cares.