The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Leaving the court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24118-leaving-court.html)

All_Heart Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:37pm

Is there a rule that makes it a technical if a player leaves the court during a dead ball.

Example: Player is upset that he is fouled and runs out the door in frustration.

The only rule I could find is 9-3 (I don't have the book in front of me I think this is the number) which of course was changed from a technical to a violation. The rule book does not say if this is during a live or dead ball. I looked over Rule 10 and technical fouls and did not see it.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 09, 2006 02:38pm

Runs out the door? Give the player a "T" for "delay of game" under R10-3-6(a).

All_Heart Mon Jan 09, 2006 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
What if it's during an extended amount of time.

Example: Player A1 commits 5th foul. B1 decides to run out to the hall for whatever reason (kiss girlfriend, drink water, give grandmother a hug) and he's back on the court before the 30 seconds expires.

In this example he is not delaying anything.

Junker Mon Jan 09, 2006 03:05pm

Unsportsmanlike T for sure.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 09, 2006 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by All_Heart
Quote:

Example: Player A1 commits 5th foul. B1 decides to run out to the hall for whatever reason (kiss girlfriend, drink water, give grandmother a hug) and he's back on the court before the 30 seconds expires.

Tell the B coach that he has to keep his players on the bench. If he asks why, read POE 3A from last year's rulebbok to him.The POE that says:
<i>The committee is also concerned about bench personnel leaving the bench, sometimes during a live ball. Heading into the hallway to get a drink or sitting up in the stands with friends or family, even for a short period of time, are not authorized reasons unless they are medically related. <b>Coaches must ensure that bench personnel remain on the bench</b>".</i>

ChrisSportsFan Mon Jan 09, 2006 03:15pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tell the B coach that he has to keep his players on the bench. If he asks why, read POE 3A from last year's rulebbok to him.The POE that says:
<i>The committee is also concerned about bench personnel leaving the bench, sometimes during a live ball. Heading into the hallway to get a drink or sitting up in the stands with friends or family, even for a short period of time, are not authorized reasons unless they are medically related. <b>Coaches must ensure that bench personnel remain on the bench</b>".</i>

I don't keep books THAT nearby. ;)

All_Heart Mon Jan 09, 2006 03:19pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But this example is of a player on the court not bench personnel. Are you saying to use this POE to call a technical. Is this something that they need to clarify.