The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   He wants to be a star! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24116-he-wants-star.html)

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by tnroundballref
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

I work some college games and I am always criticized about my mechanincs when I work a high school game (especially NCAA block calls) by fellow officials.
Could you tell me the difference in mechanics for a blocking foul between FED and NCAA? :confused:

Fists chopping waist vs hands "hugging" hips.

Whereintheheck did you get that idea? :confused:

The block signal on the NCAA chart- #20- is <b>exactly</b> the same as the block signal- #31- on the NFHS chart. They are completely identical.

It is acceptable to chop the waist in college not in my high school association.

Who says that "chopping" symbol is acceptable in college?

Chuck's point was that there is <b>no</b> difference in the <b>approved</b> mechanic between the NCAA and NFHS rulesets. Chuck is completely right. The blocking signals in both rulebooks are <b>exactly</b> the same. The NCAA block symbol, as shown in their rule book, is <b>not</b> "fists chopping the waist".

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:19am

Quote:

[QUOTE

[/B][/QUOTE]

My college assignor.... [/B][/QUOTE]It may be acceptable to your college assignor but that's got nuthin' to do with the statements above. If your college assignor tells you to use non-NCAA approved mechanics, so be it. If he tells you to stand on your head while making the signal, so be it. You'd best listen to him. That still doesn't change the <b>fact</b> that the proper NCAA block signal, as shown in their rulebook, is <b>not</b> the signal/mechanic your assignor is telling you to use.

There is <b>no</b> difference in block mechanics between NCAA and NFHS rules if an official is using the <b>proper</b> and <b>right</b> mechanic for each ruleset, as shown in their respective books. They are completely identical. That was Chuck's point.

tomegun Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:26am

The mechanics are the same but many use an un-approved mechanic. As it is in the book, the block and over-and-back signals are my least favorite to use. I just think they are both weak signals. I'm guilty of using the bad mechanic at the spot, but when I report to the table I use the proper block mechanic. This is one of my weaknesses because it is wrong, like others have said.

Roundball, many things aren't done correctly in a college game on TV. That doesn't mean we aren't supposed to do it right. They walk and talk, in men's games, all the time and that isn't correct (I don't know about the ...SEC).

Rich Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
The mechanics are the same but many use an un-approved mechanic. As it is in the book, the block and over-and-back signals are my least favorite to use. I just think they are both weak signals. I'm guilty of using the bad mechanic at the spot, but when I report to the table I use the proper block mechanic. This is one of my weaknesses because it is wrong, like others have said.

Roundball, many things aren't done correctly in a college game on TV. That doesn't mean we aren't supposed to do it right. They walk and talk, in men's games, all the time and that isn't correct (I don't know about the ...SEC).

Weakness? Oh, come on. I've never seen a top official on TV or in person do anything else but bang the hips at the spot on a block. 2 or 3 times, even.

Putting the hands on the hips looks weak and I can't believe anyone at the varsity level would do that at the spot of the foul, especially when selling a block/charge call.

Rich Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35am

Quote:

What don't you like about the over-and-back mechanic?

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[QUOTE

My college assignor....

It may be acceptable to your college assignor but that's got nuthin' to do with the statements above. If your college assignor tells you to use non-NCAA approved mechanics, so be it. If he tells you to stand on your head while making the signal, so be it. You'd best listen to him. That still doesn't change the <b>fact</b> that the proper NCAA block signal, as shown in their rulebook, is <b>not</b> the signal/mechanic your assignor is telling you to use.

There is <b>no</b> difference in block mechanics between NCAA and NFHS rules if an official is using the <b>proper</b> and <b>right</b> mechanic for each ruleset, as shown in their respective books. They are completely identical. That was Chuck's point.
[/B][/QUOTE]

JR...next time you watch a college game...count the number of times that the mechanic is done properly....that is my point ! [/B][/QUOTE]That might be your point now, but it wasn't the point being discussed above. Your answer above said that it was a <b>difference</b> in mechanics. That answer is wrong. It is <b>not</b> a difference in mechanics. It is officials using their <b>own</b> mechanics instead of NCAA <b>approved</b> mechanics. No big deal- except Chuck's statement was right.

tomegun Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

What don't you like about the over-and-back mechanic?

I don't think the block or over-and-back mechanic look strong. IMO, there is no snap or strength to the over-and-back. It reminds me of the indication you would give someone if you are 50/50 about something.

I would say it is a weakness because it isn't correct. This is an area where I yield to my desire to show strength instead of the proper mechanic. Trust me, I make it quick when I do it the right way at the table.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:56am

Quote:

[/B]
Weakness? Oh, come on. I've never seen a top official on TV or in person do anything else but bang the hips at the spot on a block. 2 or 3 times, even.

Putting the hands on the hips looks weak and I can't believe anyone at the varsity level would do that at the spot of the foul, especially when selling a block/charge call. [/B][/QUOTE]Rich, imo who really cares? Unless your particular assignor/evaluator wants all of his people to do it uniformly, then I agree with you. It just ain't a big deal imo one way or t'other if you wanna bang your hips. My only point was that it isn't <b>the</b> approved mechanic in either NCAA or FED. That also sureashell doesn't also necessarily make it a <b>wrong</b> mechanic though.

ChuckElias Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01pm

Quote:

As it is in the book, the block and over-and-back signals are my least favorite to use. I just think they are both weak signals.
I agree that the block signal looks a little weak. I wouldn't mind a bit if they changed it to the NBA signal. But until they do. . .

Rich Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:13pm

Quote:

Quote:

As it is in the book, the block and over-and-back signals are my least favorite to use. I just think they are both weak signals.
I agree that the block signal looks a little weak. I wouldn't mind a bit if they changed it to the NBA signal. But until they do. . .

...you'll just bang your hips when you know there isn't someone watching? :)

mj Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:14pm

Quote:

Quote:

Putting the hands on the hips looks weak and I can't believe anyone at the varsity level would do that at the spot of the foul, especially when selling a block/charge call.

You gotta bang a block at the spot!! Report it as it should be though...imo

[Edited by mj on Jan 11th, 2006 at 01:12 PM]

Texref Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:29pm

Quote:

Quote:

Chuck, the NBA signal is the same as everyone else.
http://www.nba.com/analysis/00421027.html

CaliOne Wed Jan 11, 2006 04:07pm

block signal

I just wanted to say (in regards to the original topic of this thread)...... I MAKE THE BLOCK SIGNAL LOOK GOOOOOOD! hahaha... joking.