The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

....for which there is no cheese.

Last night I issued my first technical foul since last January.

3-person. I know the visiting coach only in that I've worked about 6-10 of his games in the past, at 2 different schools. We get along pretty well and he likes to talk. He's also a bit on the sarcastic side.

Anyway, in the first half I'm center tableside and he's in my ear. I'm talking to him and as we talk, he thinks a player traveled and he said, rather quietly, "You're buddy's killing me out here." I stepped on him and said that my partner's a very good friend of mine and he shouldn't even try to go there.

I know many would've just issued a T, but he was quiet and, well, this is the new kinder and gentler me.

Later the third official is talking to him and at halftime tells me that he's warned him regarding sportsmanship. It was close to the half, so he didn't tell us at the time.

Third quarter, the same official that warned him called a (good) illegal screen while C opposite. I'm trail tableside and the coach looks towards me and says to his assistant (well, actually the comment was directed to me), "He's ridiculous out here." Whack.

The whining stopped for the most part. I'm so used to coaches I can talk to maybe I overlooked one who actually wanted a T. Who knows?

Off to do a 6PM boys varsity game. Anytime the games start before 7:30, I'm giddy.

--Rich
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

That's an ABS technical foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith