The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Thumbs down

Had a decent Boys JV game. Then during the second half, my partner was passing on a LOT of stuff. During my postgame with my partner, he was saying that he passed on many calls "in order to get it over with." It ended up being a 3-5 point game, which I believed NOTHING should been passed on.

I believe this made it very difficult for myself to make must-have, blatant foul calls from 40 feet away, directly in front my partner, 5 feet away. Although we are taught not to reach for calls, when safety and integrity are on the line, the right thing must be done by any official. I figured it was just something that had to be done. If players, coaches or fans are to complain that "it wasn't my call to make," Tough!

So, how do I work with a partner who changes their game plan as the game is going on? Should I drop my standards to stay consistent with my partner, or die with a call that I shouldn't have been looking at in the first place to keep the integrity of the game? Thoughts??
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Tell him that you understand he has a hot date and for him to go ahead and go. You'll finish up. May as well.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

You must be courageous when you enter the court. Do this consistently without regard to score, position on the floor, or whom it may affect. You should call the game down the middle and have the courage to call them as they occur. Your honesty must be above reproach. It takes real courage to resist pressure or intimidation.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up It still works.

Get in.
Get done.
Get out.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

There are two sides to every coin. I once reffed a freshman game with a partner that called everything...in my primary, out of my primary, my out-of-bounds line, his out-of-bounds line. At halftime I asked him if I needed my whistle for the second half, or was I just along for the ride?

Making sure you switch after fouls is one way to at least try to balance the coverage. If he's passing on stuff as Lead, after the next foul, you'll be Lead, and can try to clean it up. But I've found trying to cover for a partner weakens your game. There is too much going on and it's happening too fast to see everything. Focus on your primary, because on the next foul, his primary will become your primary.