The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

1. Coach A calls a full time out. Both teams go to their benches. After about 20 seconds, 4 players from team B head back out on to the floor. the 5th player does not return until the second horn sounds to end the timeout.

2. Player B1 commits a shooting foul on A1. A1 goes to the line to shoot 2 shots. The lead official bounces the ball to A1 for the first shot. While A1 is preparing to shoot his first free throw, A2 steps off the court near the bench to take a drink of water.

What if anything do you call in these situations?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take a stab at it.

1. Nothing
2. If the shot goes in I got a FT violation, otherwise I got nothing.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

1) Normal resumption of Play. No known rule they re-enter together.

2) Horizontal arm out for delayed call of player leaving court for unauthorized reason..

PS: What if the player was still "on the court" but was handed a glass of water? Violation?

Never seen that but I have seen towels thrown out to players still on the court for a quick brow wipe. I don't call anything.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:39pm
Jerry Blum

1. Nothing. As long as they are ready to go by the 2nd horn.

2. If A2's bench is at the other end of the floor I never saw it as long as he is back on the floor when the ball becomes live after the 2nd free throw. If his bench is on the side of the floor where the free throws are being shot and he crosses the free throw line it's a violation other wise I say don't worry about or let them know to get back on the floor.

I realize that they are supposed to stay on the floor but I don't think you really want to go hunting for that kind of problem. Calling a violation for something like will most likely not make the game any better, better to use common sense.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
1. Coach A calls a full time out. Both teams go to their benches. After about 20 seconds, 4 players from team B head back out on to the floor. the 5th player does not return until the second horn sounds to end the timeout.

2. Player B1 commits a shooting foul on A1. A1 goes to the line to shoot 2 shots. The lead official bounces the ball to A1 for the first shot. While A1 is preparing to shoot his first free throw, A2 steps off the court near the bench to take a drink of water.

What if anything do you call in these situations?
1. Nothing.

2. I got nothing unless he would go get one below FT line extended but I'm sure some on here would.

[Edited by mj on Jan 5th, 2006 at 02:58 PM]
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
2) Horizontal arm out for delayed call of player leaving court for unauthorized reason.
Why the delayed violation? If you're going to call it, it's immediate, since he's a teammate of the FT shooter.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
2) Horizontal arm out for delayed call of player leaving court for unauthorized reason.
Why the delayed violation? If you're going to call it, it's immediate, since he's a teammate of the FT shooter.
You are correct, Sir. No delay.