The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What's you name? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24030-whats-you-name.html)

Ref-X Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:08pm

Has anyone had this before?
Prior to the start of the first game of a double header my partner and I greeted the coaches. The one coach made a point of asking and confirming our names. I did think anything of it. After tip off, this guy was yelling our names all game. It was very distracting.
So before we start the second game we greet the new coaches and one of the coaches said “I sorry I do not get your name”. You can imagine how reluctant I was to answer.

stmaryrams Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:51pm

In Columbus there are some well known coaches who do the same thing. They will call you by name the entire game.

There are plenty of worse things to be called but it is very strange especially if you don't know them well.

RookieDude Wed Jan 04, 2006 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref-X
After tip off, this guy was yelling our names all game. It was very distracting.
As I have stated many times before...it's not WHAT they "yell", it's HOW they "yell" it.

If this coach is "yelling" at you "all game"...take care of business. It doesn't matter if he is using your proper name or "hey ref"...take care of his unsporting actions, if that is what his "distractions" are in your judgement.

Ref-X Wed Jan 04, 2006 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

After tip off, this guy was yelling our names all game. It was very distracting.
As I have stated many times before...it's not WHAT they "yell", it's HOW they "yell" it.

If this coach is "yelling" at you "all game"...take care of business. It doesn't matter if he is using your proper name or "hey ref"...take care of his unsporting actions, if that is what his "distractions" are in your judgement.

It was not that what he was saying was unsportsmanlike. It is just some one you don’t know yelling your name. It was more like “Hay___ that’s a foul” or Hay ____ I need a time out” or “Hay ____ my guy is getting killed inside”. Hearing a coach calling my name over and over was distracting because it is not something I’m use to.

Rich Wed Jan 04, 2006 02:02pm

I don't understand this thread -- before going on the court, we grab a program and know the two head coaches' names. If I remember, I get them from the Internet before making the trip.

We use their first names when we introduce ourselves to the coaches. Likewise, we give the coaches our first and last names and I expect that they'll use my first name.

Beats the heck out of "hey you" or "hey ref?" Besides, if they want a timeout, they can get my attention much better by calling me by name.

mick Wed Jan 04, 2006 02:04pm

If they say "mick!", they are more likely to get my attention. If they harrass me by name, it is because I didn't ask them to stop.
In Michigan, our names are in the book in front of God and everybody.
mick

bob jenkins Wed Jan 04, 2006 02:38pm

Quote:

or Hay ____ I need a time out”
This (ignoring the wrong word) is a valid reason for the coach to use your name -- you're more likely to hear the request and act upon it (as appropriate) than you are if he just yells, "Time out." As we've discussed on other threads, a coach can get frustrated if s/he thinks you aren't listening / hearing the request.

blindzebra Wed Jan 04, 2006 02:39pm

We introduced ourselves and the entire first half this coach keeps saying, "Hey Mike..."

I don't pay any attention to him.

Finally he says, "Hey Mike, why are you ignoring me?"

I said, "My name is not Mike."

Neither was my partners.:D

Never heard a thing from him in the second half.

blindzebra Wed Jan 04, 2006 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I don't understand this thread -- before going on the court, we grab a program and know the two head coaches' names. If I remember, I get them from the Internet before making the trip.

We use their first names when we introduce ourselves to the coaches. Likewise, we give the coaches our first and last names and I expect that they'll use my first name.

Beats the heck out of "hey you" or "hey ref?" Besides, if they want a timeout, they can get my attention much better by calling me by name.

I don't care if they call me by my first name, but I'll never call a coach by theirs, it is always going to be coach.

Ref-X Wed Jan 04, 2006 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Hearing a coach calling my name over and over was distracting because it is not something I’m use to.
(OK...Mr. X, I am going to seriously kid you...so don't get to sensitive on me.) ;)

But, what are you used to?

"Hey, Dumbsh!t...go get me some coffee!" or

"Hey, Dufus...you missed a spot!" or

"Hey, Worthless...why don't you tell me you love me once in awhile!" :D

RookieDude:There are several Coaches that know my name. Ever some that I'm friends with. They never call me by name during the game. And like wise I never address a coach by there first name during the game. Most of the time they say “Mr. Official” or I say “would you like a full time out Coach”. So when some one I don’t know is calling my name all over the gym it is distracting. So I was curious how other Officials are addressed by coaches. And if it bothered any else.
It’s cool RookieDude I can take a joke.

jeffpea Wed Jan 04, 2006 03:32pm

During the course of a game, you really should have some sort of communication with the head coach. Using first names isn't that outrageous - it's something that you should get used to. A simple sign of respect.

By the way, don't fall into the mindset that "all coaches act the same". You shouldn't feel reluctant to interact with coaches in game two because of the behavior of different coaches in game one. Our past experiences can cloud too much of our future expectations.

JRutledge Wed Jan 04, 2006 03:34pm

I like it when the coaches call you by the wrong name and I can just ignore them as usual. :D

Peace

Ref-X Wed Jan 04, 2006 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffpea
During the course of a game, you really should have some sort of communication with the head coach. Using first names isn't that outrageous - it's something that you should get used to. A simple sign of respect.

By the way, don't fall into the mindset that "all coaches act the same". You shouldn't feel reluctant to interact with coaches in game two because of the behavior of different coaches in game one. Our past experiences can cloud too much of our future expectations.

I don’t have an issue communicating with any coach. That is something I have tried to get better at every season. And if I’m talking to a coach one on one and he uses my name I would not have a problem with that. But this guy was calling my partners name and mine all game. It was something I was not accustomed to. But it sounds like it is common.

You are right I should not let what happened in game one effect game two. But when the second coach asked my name my first thought was here we go again.

Rich Wed Jan 04, 2006 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

I don't care if they call me by my first name, but I'll never call a coach by theirs, it is always going to be coach.

Then you and I completely disagree on this. The head coach is always addressed (by me) by first name and if I catch and remember an assistant's name (which I'll admit is rare), I'll do the same thing if I need to communicate throw-in spot or timeouts remaining.

Anything I can do to make our relationship a bit more human-to-human....

blindzebra Wed Jan 04, 2006 05:06pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then you and I completely disagree on this. The head coach is always addressed (by me) by first name and if I catch and remember an assistant's name (which I'll admit is rare), I'll do the same thing if I need to communicate throw-in spot or timeouts remaining.

It's dangerous to do that, what happens if you forget one of the coaches name?

What if you have an out of town team and that coach hears you say, "Hi, Bill," to the other coach? Even if you then call him by his first name, he will still be under the impression that you and the other coach have a relationship and he is about to get homered.

You can show you are more than a striped shirt without calling them by name.

Calling them coach keeps things professional and it can't be misinterpreted.

Ref-X Wed Jan 04, 2006 05:32pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is approach I use also. I address them as Coach. Even the coaches I know out side of basketball. Once the games starts it is “how can I help you coach”. I always felt that is a more professional approach.

What if you have an out of town team and that coach hears you say, "Hi, Bill," to the other coach? Even if you then call him by his first name, he will still be under the impression that you and the other coach have a relationship and he is about to get homered.

Ref-X Wed Jan 04, 2006 05:33pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is approach I use also. I address them as Coach. Even the coaches I know out side of basketball. Once the games starts it is “how can I help you coach”. I always felt that is a more professional approach.