The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I am responsible for keeping the stats for my daughter's high school team. We have had recent discussions on what constitutes a "rebound". We have all extremes from taking possession after any attempted shot (regardless of how many people have touched the ball or whether it is now rolling on the floor) to only those cleanly taken from off the rim (no contact with the floor). Any suggestions on how to clarify this would be helpful.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lcjones
I am responsible for keeping the stats for my daughter's high school team. We have had recent discussions on what constitutes a "rebound". We have all extremes from taking possession after any attempted shot (regardless of how many people have touched the ball or whether it is now rolling on the floor) to only those cleanly taken from off the rim (no contact with the floor). Any suggestions on how to clarify this would be helpful.
It's clearly defined in the rule book, sorry dont have it handy, but I'm sure someone will. To me anytime a shot is taken there must be a rebound if the shot is missed. If it's a clear box and rebound or maybe the ball gets batted around, whoever comes up with the ball is credited with a rebound in my book.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
LC,

I know that the NCAA puts out a guidebook for statisticians. And I think you can view it somewhere on their website, which is http://www.ncaa.org . I don't know if the High School Federation puts out its own version.

Most officials (which is mostly who posts on this forum) aren't concerned with stats and their definitions. But if I had to choose, I'd go with your first description. Whoever first establishes control after a missed shot, regardless of who else touched it.

Somebody else will probably give you a more definitive answer. Welcome to the forum. And, by the way, I'll be waiting at our usual cafe. . .

Me and Mrs. Jones, we got a thing going on,
We both know that it's wrong
But it's much too strong to let it cool down now.

Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 10:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
It's clearly defined in the rule book, sorry dont have it handy, but I'm sure someone will.
Got nothing to do with the rules, Nate. Never has either.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Former coach here) When the ball is shot there must be a rebound. If the ball goes out of bounds before possession is secured, it is counted as a "team rebound" for the team that will take it out.