The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Note for Michigan officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24010-note-michigan-officials.html)

bgtg19 Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:53pm

Since the 5-page Closely Guarded thread went on a digression, I thought I'd post this in a new thread so that it would not get lost....

According to two members of our local association who attended the Boys Basketball Rules Meeting in Lansing on September 30, 2005, Nate Hampton, the MHSAA's Assistant Director, requested that officials *DO* use the arms-out-to-the-side-with-fingers-bent-to-bracket signal when a player is no longer being closely guarded. Because of Nate's request, our local association has encouraged all of its members to use the signal, despite the fact that it is not yet approved by the NFHS.

If anyone can confirm (or dispel) the report on what Nate has asked Michigan officials to do, I'd certainly be interested in learning that.

oatmealqueen Tue Jan 03, 2006 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bgtg19
Since the 5-page Closely Guarded thread went on a digression, I thought I'd post this in a new thread so that it would not get lost....

According to two members of our local association who attended the Boys Basketball Rules Meeting in Lansing on September 30, 2005, Nate Hampton, the MHSAA's Assistant Director, requested that officials *DO* use the arms-out-to-the-side-with-fingers-bent-to-bracket signal when a player is no longer being closely guarded. Because of Nate's request, our local association has encouraged all of its members to use the signal, despite the fact that it is not yet approved by the NFHS.

If anyone can confirm (or dispel) the report on what Nate has asked Michigan officials to do, I'd certainly be interested in learning that.

Not true for our rules meetings for associations in Northern Michigan.

lmeadski Tue Jan 03, 2006 02:39pm

Not true

In fact, Nate said he did NOT want the "television", wide arm mechanic used. In stead, simply use your normal closely guarded count mechanic. He did say to switch arms as your count migrates from dribble to non-dribble and vise versa.

bgtg19 Tue Jan 03, 2006 03:39pm

Re: Not true

Quote:

Originally posted by lmeadski
In fact, Nate said he did NOT want the "television", wide arm mechanic used. In stead, simply use your normal closely guarded count mechanic. He did say to switch arms as your count migrates from dribble to non-dribble and vise versa.

Thanks for the responses. Like the queen, nothing about this topic was said at the rules meeting I attended in August (in Southern MI), but Nate was not at that meeting. Imeadski, did Nate say that at the September 30 meeting, or were you at another meeting with Nate when he said the above?

lmeadski Tue Jan 03, 2006 03:43pm

I just called him today

and asked him.

bgtg19 Tue Jan 03, 2006 04:12pm

Thanks, Imeadski. We certainly want to get it right. I'm not sure that our association would have gone along with the encouragement to use an unrecognized mechanic without the impramatur of Michigan basketball's leading figure.