Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Irregardless, I always verbalize it when reporting to the table
Cough, cough. . . Irreg. . . choking. . . Irregar. . . gar. . . room spinning. . . can't breathe. . .

Count it as soon as you know it went in. That's usually as soon as it goes in.
Fwiw, Chuck, the word "irregardless" appears in the text of the NFHS rule book. It's verbalized in print several times.
From dictionary.com:
irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

So, irregardless just ain't right.

Oh, yea, back to the topic. I always used to "sell" the made basket, you know, come out strong and really slam home that basket; it's one of those plays that the crowd loves, the "and-one". But as I've done more NCAA-W, I've come to appreciate their mentality and mechanic of just counting the basket. It either went in, or it didn't. That's helped me in my overall game as well - I try to not call every play as if it's life or death anymore. Yep, that's a travel. Yep, that's a foul. Yep, the basket went in. Also, if you are wide enough on the play, you should be able to see the ball go in along with keeping any eye on the players. If I'm at an angle where I need to stay with the play and players, I will keep my fist in the air and make eye contact with my partner(s) to ask for help on the basket. If they give me an affirmative, then I'll count it as soon as I know.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

The one point that I see missing in this discussion: you do sell the call sometimes when you count the basket, you sell the fact that you are giving continuation, when play is close, you want everyone to know right away that you are sure he was in the act of shooting and you are counting the basket, it looks bad if you wait until you get to the table and then count the basket, like it was an afterthought and you are just guessing
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
[/B]
From dictionary.com:
irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

[/B][/QUOTE]Shut up.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blewthat
The one point that I see missing in this discussion: you do sell the call sometimes when you count the basket, you sell the fact that you are giving continuation, when play is close, you want everyone to know right away that you are sure he was in the act of shooting and you are counting the basket, it looks bad if you wait until you get to the table and then count the basket, like it was an afterthought and you are just guessing
If you are counting the basket because it was a shooting foul, you should signal the basket at the spot of the foul, then count it again when reporting at the table. If I don't know if the ball went in, I try to find out that information before I get to the table, so I can either count it or tell my partner(s) we've got two (or three) shots, before getting to the table. If it was a close play, and I know the foul occured before the shot, I will wave off the shot, verbalize "No shot, ball's OOB on the baseline" and point to the spot so my partners know what's going on. Iow, you should signal and make it clear what you have before you get to the table.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
From dictionary.com:
irregardless

[/B]
Shut up. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was just trying to make two people's head explode with just one post; multi-tasking, so to speak.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
The one point that I see missing in this discussion: you do sell the call sometimes when you count the basket, you sell the fact that you are giving continuation, when play is close, you want everyone to know right away that you are sure he was in the act of shooting and you are counting the basket
In that case, why not just blow the whistle and say "Going up!" That lets everybody know that it's good if it goes. And you don't look over-excited when you "BANG!" it home.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
From dictionary.com:
irregardless

Shut up. [/B]

I was just trying to make two people's head explode with just one post; multi-tasking, so to speak. [/B][/QUOTE]Do it again and you'll be deboned.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
The one point that I see missing in this discussion: you do sell the call sometimes when you count the basket, you sell the fact that you are giving continuation, when play is close, you want everyone to know right away that you are sure he was in the act of shooting and you are counting the basket
In that case, why not just blow the whistle and say "Going up!" That lets everybody know that it's good if it goes. And you don't look over-excited when you "BANG!" it home.
Lotta people use "On the way".....somewhere....I think.....or maybe it's just me.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do it again and you'll be deboned.
I know my wife wouldn't like that.

See how easily this thread becomes unraveled...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:17pm
Huck Finn

There is this one league, that many people claim they don't watch because its not basketball , where the officials point at the hoop to indicate the player was in the act.

irregardless , communication is the key.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Do it again and you'll be deboned.
I know my wife wouldn't like that.

See how easily this thread becomes unraveled...
Speaking of unravelling your wife...during a recent game A1 drives to the basket & is just clobbered on a layup. I blow the whistle, ball spins off the backboard & starts spinning around the rim...round & round...it's coming off...wait, no it's back on...spin spin spin...this goes on for at least 5 or 6 seconds and I'm standing there with my arm in the air, everyone staring at the ball going round & round, finally the ball drops in. Huge cheer. Irregardless of the fact that I normally don't "sell" these I couldn't help myself, I banged it home.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started in the late '80s, the (CCA, I think) mechanic was to not "sweep" it or count it at the point as the lead. The reason was that the trail may have basket interference or goaltending. So, when you were going to report the foul, the trial would move to your position and say, "the basket went in." That then would give you, the lead, the option of counting it at that point if you had it as a shooting foul.

About 2 or 3 years later, they changed it. I'm not sure whether the change was due to the infrequency of BI/GT calls or they wanted the trail to keep focused on the players -- or both. I don't know whether selling the call was part of the change. Sounds reasonable, but in any event, you, as the trail, need to be prepared to tell your partner that the basket went in in case he didn't see it.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I couldn't help myself, I banged it home.

It just keeps gettin' worser...

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

No it doesn't

Quote:
Fwiw, Chuck, the word "irregardless" appears in the text of the NFHS rule book.
Chuck, Don't let JR pull a fast one on you. I just ran a search on the new electronic rules and case books. That word does not appear.
Irregularity appears in 2-11-11 Note 2 and irrelevant shows up in 9.10.1SitC.

Now JR will tell me to shut up.

Quote:

It's verbalized in print several times.
A classic!
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 08:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Fwiw, Chuck, the word "irregardless" appears in the text of the NFHS rule book.
Chuck, Don't let JR pull a fast one on you. I just ran a search on the new electronic rules and case books. That word does not appear.
Irregularity appears in 2-11-11 Note 2 and irrelevant shows up in 9.10.1SitC.

I apologize for acting irresponsibly.