The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Here is the situation: A1 passes the ball to A2, but the ball is tipped by B1. Team A has control in their frontcourt. The ball goes into the backcourt, recovered by A2. No backcourt violation per Rule 9.9.1

Trail official calls backcourt. I thought he didn't see the tip, but when I used the unofficial tip mechanic to avoid going over to the trail official and telling him it was tipped, he acknowledged the tip but did not change the call, which he sold. At the half I asked and he said team control was not lost so this is over and back.

What would you have done different? What if I had approached him right after the call and he told me this?

Should I have approached him and tried to get the call right?
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

You are probably damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If he shrugged off my non-vocal help, with the tip signal, I'm going over with, "I had B with a tip, did you have A touching it after that tip BEFORE it went into the backcourt?"

Hopefully putting it in rules context will thaw out his brain.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
Here is the situation: A1 passes the ball to A2, but the ball is tipped by B1. Team A has control in their frontcourt. The ball goes into the backcourt, recovered by A2. No backcourt violation per Rule 9.9.1

Trail official calls backcourt. I thought he didn't see the tip, but when I used the unofficial tip mechanic to avoid going over to the trail official and telling him it was tipped, he acknowledged the tip but did not change the call, which he sold. At the half I asked and he said team control was not lost so this is over and back.

What would you have done different? What if I had approached him right after the call and he told me this?

You should have gone to him, not visualize some signal for everyone to see.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

You should have gone to him, not visualize some signal for everyone to see.
When I went over to tell him the ball was tipped thinking he missed the signal, his reply was "Team control was not lost. Do not question me about rules during the game." Then during the next time out he came up to me and said "What the f*** was that? You made us look terrible by questioning a rule."

I was at a loss for words after that comment.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When I went over to tell him the ball was tipped thinking he missed the signal, his reply was "Team control was not lost. Do not question me about rules during the game." Then during the next time out he came up to me and said "What the f*** was that? You made us look terrible by questioning a rule."

I was at a loss for words after that comment. [/B]
All you can do is give your partner your opinion of what the correct rule interpretation is. Try and convince him quickly of how you see the situation and the rules. If he cannot be pursuaded then you have to go with his call and move on. You could then discuss with him at half time or after the game and consult the rule book to convince him so that next time he might get it right.

In the end there will be situations where the officials disagree about the rules. We need to have proper mechanics to deal with this so that the two officials are not standing there saying "Is too", "Is not", "Is too"...

Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Most important pregame activity is discussing and getting a feel for how the crew wants to handle missed calls.

Was this discussed in pregame?

Sounds like his comments were inappropriate.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Yeah.....go up to him before the game and ask,

"What procedure would you like me to follow when you miss a call?"