The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What to do when a fight breaks out? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23945-what-do-when-fight-breaks-out.html)

brianp134 Fri Dec 30, 2005 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I'm not going to give legal advice, but, as an attorney, I know what I am going to do (or not do) in any fight:

I WILL NOT under any circumstances physically (with my hands) separate players. I MIGHT, depending on the level of play and how I feel things are actually going, get in between two players that start talking at each other and are still more than a body width apart. But if hands are raised for a shove or punch, I'm backing out of there. I'm getting the numbers of anyone involved, and then I'm taking a quick look at the benches to see if anyone's off.

Whatever coaches come off and are acting as peacemakers, I'm determining that they were beckoned on the court and are allowed. Players off the bench, of course, are all ejected, and if a coach grabs an opposing player, he's gone.

I also am going to make damn sure I stay in self preservation mode, and I would probably move as close to the center of the court as possible. Get with your partner(s) and sty there until order is resolved. Do not leave the court without both or all three of you together under any circumstances. As far as officials go, its never 'every man for himself.'

At this point, if police are not in the building, I will suspend the game until they arrive, and insist that one stay with me and my partner(s) until we leave the parking lot. After the game, I am making very detailed notes on what happened and will file appropriate reports. I'm also not talking to any coaches.

Texas Aggie, why would you not want to talk to any coaches? I'm not trying to be smart, just wondering why?

Dan_ref Fri Dec 30, 2005 06:18pm

Good topic. Some thoughts - 1 official needs to hang back to observe. As long as the fight is confined to the players (ie no fans) I'm happy starting the game up as soon as the players have punched themselves out and they are dismissed (IOW I see no reason for the cops to get involved AS LONG AS the fight is confined to the court). Have the book keeper note the details: time of the fight, who was involved, etc as as soon as it's over. This will help you later when you write your report. Some have said blow the whistle. DO NOT go into the fray with the whistle in your mouth. Spit it out before separating players. Any coach that comes on the floor to help has been beckoned. Know who your security people are. When someone in street clothes rushes onto the court you should be able to tell immediately if it's security or some nut.

ChrisSportsFan Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:40am

I think those of us who advocate plowing the whistle are more in favor of doing that as an irritant than doing it while separating combatants. If the fight hasn't started and I'm stepping in between 2 mouthy players, you can be assured that the whistle is resting on my chest as I do not desire any dental work.

Let's say the fight does happen much the way Dan described and the bookkeeper takes all the appropriate notes. When do you get those notes from them? Is this something you contact the AD on the next day or do you try to get them after the game? Is it OK to ask for someone to bring the book to your dressing room after the game? I've never had one go this far and just wondering what you guys/gals suggest.

brianp134 Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:03am

Chris, I would get all of the information from the official book immediately after the game that night, In the conferences or leagues that I work, the assignors want a call immediately after the game. I would like to have all the information prior to calling him or her.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Daddy
Is there anything worse than watching a hocky ref during a fight?
They're trained to deal with fighting. The Fed has no such training, except to say don't get involved.

And they've been given specific instructions about when to get involved and wehn to stay out (e.g., if it's just two individuals, and they ar both standing, stay out. When one goes down, get in, ...)

Ref Daddy -- why do you think what they do is "wrong?"

Ref Daddy Sat Dec 31, 2005 09:46pm

I am not qualified to judge what they are doing as wrong or right .....

As I understand it fighting is also penalty in Hockey. Certainly not an expert but hockey combatants get sent to the penalty "Box".

It has just always "appeared" to this viewer as if the referee's (in hockey) just monitor the ongoing fight and simply wait around to enforce the no fighting rules when the violators are done committing their violation.

Just a different philospohy from Basketball I guess.

I feel that a NHL hockey referee just watching two go at it looks strange to me.

Snake~eyes Sun Jan 01, 2006 02:41am

I think its just the fact that they are on skates and they can't do much to break up the fight. It's difficult enough on floor, imagine breaking it up on ice.