The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Reading the rule book on ejections it says ADULT's leave the site and sound of the game immediatly.

What of Player that are ejected?

Can they remain on the bench?
Can they LEAVE the bench area if they want?
Can they join team huddles in time-out's?
Participate in warm-up's?

Hmmmm.....
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Players aren't ejected, they're disqualified.

All the references to ejections in the rule books address adults, not players. Why? Because you should never eject a player from the arena, unless it becomes a point where the player is being disruptive. In that rare instance, an adult should leave the arena with the player.

Once he's disqualified, he remains on the bench or in the bench area during TOs. He does not participate in warmups.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 03:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Reading the rule book on ejections it says ADULT's leave the site and sound of the game immediatly.

What of Player that are ejected?

Can they remain on the bench?
Can they LEAVE the bench area if they want?
Can they join team huddles in time-out's?
Participate in warm-up's?

Hmmmm.....
Case book play 10.5(b), Daddy.

I'll leave it to you to cut'n'paste it.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]Case book play 10.5(b), Daddy.

I'll leave it to you to cut'n'paste it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for locating the reference.

Be advised that my public service of pasting from the rule book has been deemed tiresome to others. I will reaquaint myself with that dog-eared version provided and published by the NFHS and direct others to do the same.

.... No, on second thought - I'll just cut and paste rules onto the CoachsForum.Com

Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Adults.

It's plural.

It's not a posessive plural.

Don't waste apostrophes - there are children starving in Africa.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Here's the case book play, which states that non-adults SHALL remain on the bench after disqualification with one exception. (I do find it amusing that with all the stress on the terminology the NFHS still titles the case book play "EJECTION" and not disqualification.) Please note that only non-adults who commit a FLAGRANT foul may be removed from the bench area. Two regular technicals does not put a student athlete in this category.

Troublesome Sidenote: My state association made a recent regulation, which is actually incorporated into the state law, which contradicts this. It states that student athletes who are "ejected" (a term that is defined therein as permanently removed from a contest by a game official) shall leave the premises. No one that I know of has enforced this. This was discussed at our last meeting and we were told to handle these situations the NFHS way. I'm not comfortable with this as long as there is something else on the books (the state law books). It could be an ugly legal situation if something happens with a student who has been DQ'd to the bench, but according to state law should be out of the gym. That is one situation that I hope that I am never in.

EJECTION
10.5 SITUATION: (a) The head coach is charged (directly or indirectly) with a third technical foul, or a second direct technical; or (b) A1 commits a flagrant technical foul against B1. RULING: In (a), the coach shall leave the vicinity or the playing area and have no further contact with the team. The official has no option and may not set aside the provision which requires removal. This also applies to all adult bench personnel who receive two technical fouls. In (b), the flagrant technical foul disqualifies A1 from further participation in the contest. A disqualified team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the bench. However, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require that these individuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the vicinity of the court. This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to subject the officials, opponents or others administering the game, to unsporting harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who has committed a flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor. It must be emphasized that an official does have this authority, when the circumstances resulting from any flagrant foul warrant it. (10-5 Note 2)
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Case book play 10.5(b), Daddy.

I'll leave it to you to cut'n'paste it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for locating the reference.

Be advised that my public service of pasting from the rule book has been deemed tiresome to others.

[/B][/QUOTE]

It's not always tiresome. You just need to be sure that it's on-point and adds to the discussion.