The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

2nd quarter I'm the trail. I've got last shot. Clock :01 ... :00 no horn after a one second delay. I blow whistle for end of quarter lead blows whistle for common foul just after my whistle. Coach of A is arguing to shoot 1 and 1 because horn never went off. We ruled end of quarter and no shot.

Appantly clock has big delay between 00 and horn.

Do you think we got it right?

I've been in so many situations where horn doesn't go off at all I try to keep an eye on clock if I have last shot.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hbioteach
2nd quarter I'm the trail. I've got last shot. Clock :01 ... :00 no horn after a one second delay. I blow whistle for end of quarter lead blows whistle for common foul just after my whistle. Coach of A is arguing to shoot 1 and 1 because horn never went off. We ruled end of quarter and no shot.

Appantly clock has big delay between 00 and horn.

Do you think we got it right?

I've been in so many situations where horn doesn't go off at all I try to keep an eye on clock if I have last shot.
Look at the console and verify that the "auto-horn" is on. Some consoles also display .1 seconds, even if teh scoreboard doesn't. From that information, you might be able to determine if the quarter has really ended.

Of course, you also need to determine if the "foul" was before your whistle (even if the other official's whistle was after yours). IF the foul was after your whistle, then it will be ignored anyway, as your whistle made the ball dead.

You can also ask the timer to turn the clock back on. If you now hear a horn, then the foul was before the end of the quarter. If you dont, it was a horn malfunction and the quarter is over. Of course, if you do this, you have to figure out how to reset the clock to the right time and how to finish the quarter.