The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

6 feet. Why do I see officials throwing their arms out to their side instead of counting 5 seconds? Am I missing something here? I understand why they are putting their arms out, but I don't understand why they don't just start the 5 second count. Within 6 feet. That's all it takes.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

This is an unofficial mechanic to communicate that the defender is not within the closely guarded distance.

I don't use it myself.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't take a yardstick to estimate 6 feet. It seems lots of officials can't estimate this distance.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

You're right it actually takes TWO yardsticks. Officials should be required to carry them during the game.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cager ref 1989
6 feet. Why do I see officials throwing their arms out to their side instead of counting 5 seconds? Am I missing something here? I understand why they are putting their arms out, but I don't understand why they don't just start the 5 second count. Within 6 feet. That's all it takes.
Obviously, their 6-feet doesn't agree with yours. Get over it. I don't use that non-NFHS mechanic either but no big deal.

Z
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
You're right it actually takes TWO yardsticks. Officials should be required to carry them during the game.
Well done, Nevada.

For those of you who want to have something measurable, just remember that the radii of the FT circle and the jump ball circle are both 6'.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
This is an unofficial mechanic to communicate that the defender is not within the closely guarded distance.

I don't use it myself.
I use it, especially when the coach is yelling for 5 seconds.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's used to show the coach (usually) that you are watching the play, but judge that the defender isn't within the required distance. Without the mechanic, the coach might think you are watching something else.

As others have said, it's not an approved mechanic in FED, but is an approved mechanic in NCAA.

Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I use it sometimes. Depends on the situation. And, my 6' is more like 4 and a half.

Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
For me I only use it to show that the closly guarded has been broken. Otherwise I think you should be conting the closly guarded count
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I never use it. If I'm counting, the defender is within six feet. If I'm not, the defender is not. I don't see a need for another mechanic.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
If I'm at 4 seconds and the guy backs out to loose the count I might show it real quick to show "hey he lost it"

Also - If a coach is like "5 seconds, 5 seconds" I'll generally shake my head no to show that they're not within the 6` for the count.

6` is a lot of room... If your standing 6` infront of an oppononet not playing defense. Yeah, your not gunna get the count.

Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I utilize the "un-mechanic" in a tight game. I know it isn't correct, but many coaches appreciate seeing that you are working/watching everything.

My 6 feet is definately 6 feet and I have been commended on calling it the way it is stated. Many coaches want you to call 5 seconds more...........as long as you are consistant from the beginning through the end of the game.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
6 feet. Why do I see officials throwing their arms out to their side instead of counting 5 seconds?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Officials DON'T throw their arms out to their sides instead of counting 5 seconds. If they throw their arms out to the side, it's because there's nothing to count -- the defender is too far away. They can't start the count until the defender gets closer. The official mechanic for indicating this situation is to do nothing, but a lot of refs feel uncomfortable with that, especially if a coach is nagging. SO the put their arms out to indicate that the defender is too far away. THen after the coach yells at the player to step in, the ref puts one arm down and starts counting with the other. Does that help you understand beter?
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:33am
Administrator

Quote:

It is a NCAA Men's/Women's mechanic that tells the coach that the official recognizes the fact that there is not a closely guarded situation. I think it is a stupid mechanic. If I am not visually signaling a closely guarded count then it should be obvious that a closely guarded situation does not exsist.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio