The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching a game this past week that I saw the officiating crew mishandle a situation. What do you think?
Team A following a throw in at mid court attacked the wrong basket. One shot was taken and Team A got the rebound. when he went back up for the put back, he was fouled and the shot went in Team B's basket. As the ref reported the foul the table told him they shot at the wrong basket. The 3 refs conferred and did the following: Gave Team B the 2 points, then went to team A's basket and let him shoot his one foul shot. Neighter coach complained. My thought is that once the whistle sounded on the foul the ball became dead and no points should have been awarded and no foul shot taken, and then Team A should have gotten the ball out of bounds. My reasoning is that you can't have a shooting foul or "in the act" foul while shooting at the wrong goal. Question one: Am I not right?

Question two: Same scenario but as Team A-1 shoots at the wrong goal, a team member realizes what he is doing and as the ball comes off the backboard he goes above the rim and smacks the ball away. Can you have goaltending at the wrong basket?
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by VaCoach
My thought is that once the whistle sounded on the foul the ball became dead and no points should have been awarded and no foul shot taken, and then Team A should have gotten the ball out of bounds. My reasoning is that you can't have a shooting foul or "in the act" foul while shooting at the wrong goal. Question one: Am I not right?

Question two: Same scenario but as Team A-1 shoots at the wrong goal, a team member realizes what he is doing and as the ball comes off the backboard he goes above the rim and smacks the ball away. Can you have goaltending at the wrong basket?
1. Yes, you am right Although if A was in the bonus they would still shoot their 1&1.

2. Goaltending no, basket interference yes.

Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for reply Dan... I did realize if in the bonus they would have needed to shot the one and one at the correct goal. Bonus was not in affect at the time.
As to Question two:so with basket interference Team B would be given 2 points??
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Thanks for reply Dan... I did realize if in the bonus they would have needed to shot the one and one at the correct goal. Bonus was not in affect at the time.
As to Question two:so with basket interference Team B would be given 2 points??
If team A commits BI at B's basket then yes, B gets 2 points.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 6.7 "The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when

Art 7 " a foul occurs"

Exception: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor"

This applies to Article 7 -"While a try or tap for field goal is in flight"

Thus the ball does not necessarily become dead on the whistle for a foul, if the ball has left the player's hands in a try or tap for goal. My hunch is the officials correctly scored the two points, but probably should have allowed a one-and-one at the other end - or if they were not in the bonus make note of the foul and conduct a spot throw in.

I am glad it wasn't my game.

[Edited by Dennis Nicely on Dec 24th, 2005 at 12:44 PM]
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely
This applies to Article 7 -"While a try or tap for field goal is in flight"

My hunch is the officials correctly scored the two points,
Dennis, your hunch is unfortunately not correct. As the initial post mentioned, there can be no try at the opponent's basket. Therefore, since it's not a try, the ball becomes dead immediately on the whistle.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

[/B][/QUOTE]Dennis, your hunch is unfortunately not correct. As the initial post mentioned, there can be no try at the opponent's basket. Therefore, since it's not a try, the ball becomes dead immediately on the whistle. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, Chuck. That is why I follow this forum. I am still glad it wasn't my game, but if I do experience the situation, I will recall how to handle it.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's also possible that the ref should have called a 10-second violation, and didn't. If there was a shot-rebound-shot, there might have been 10 seconds pass, especially since the opponent was guarding. That would have "prevented" the foul call, and made the situation more clear to everyone.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

If you, as the official, are aware of what's going on at the time (A shooting at B's basket), at what point do you step in to correct the situation? Do you allow the shot to happen? Any rebounding action? If the shot goes, do you allow B to inbound the ball? It would be a great reward for B's awareness if they were allowed to inbound the ball for an easy shot at their own basket. But do you let things go that far?
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
If you, as the official, are aware of what's going on at the time (A shooting at B's basket), at what point do you step in to correct the situation?
At what point did the NFL's officials step in to stop Jim Marshall from running the wrong way?

Different sport, but same answer, I think. The ball's live, nothing illegal has happened, you let the play continue.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was watching a game this past week that I saw the officiating crew mishandle a situation. What do you think?
Team A following a throw in at mid court attacked the wrong basket.
If the officials allowed Team A to mistakenly go in the wrong direction, then the points would count for Team A and A1 would then go to the correct end to shoot his FT.

By saying "if the officials allowed Team A" I mean this. If the lead official was along B's endline, all the players were on B's end and the Trail official pointed to B's goal and said, "Team A!" then the officials mistakenly allowed Team A to go in the wrong direction. Any points scored and other activity that occurred would count, up until the time the teams were turned around and pointed in the correct direction.

Your post does not indicate if that happened or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you, as the official, are aware of what's going on at the time (A shooting at B's basket), at what point do you step in to correct the situation? Do you allow the shot to happen? Any rebounding action? If the shot goes, do you allow B to inbound the ball? It would be a great reward for B's awareness if they were allowed to inbound the ball for an easy shot at their own basket. But do you let things go that far?
As stated, this was a throwin and the teams (presumably) were already going the correct directions before the throwin.

Given that...

It will be over after 10 seconds due to the backcourt violation. If the "shot" occurs first, it counts. If the shot goes, the whistle is blown at that time...to clarify for the scorer that the points count for B. The throwin that follows is for A as if a player from team B made the shot (doesn't matter by who or how the points were scored.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
As stated, this was a throwin and the teams (presumably) were already going the correct directions before the throwin.

Given that...

It will be over after 10 seconds due to the backcourt violation. If the "shot" occurs first, it counts. If the shot goes, the whistle is blown at that time...to clarify for the scorer that the points count for B. The throwin that follows is for A as if a player from team B made the shot (doesn't matter by who or how the points were scored.
Agreed -- but I have a hard time reconciling this with a foul by B. It seems that it wasn't just A1 who was confused.

So, imo, if "everyone" was confused, treat it as if A was going the right way -- count the basket and go to the other end to shoot the FT. If "only A1 and B1" were confused, the 10-seconds or the foul makes the ball dead and administer as any other common foul on B.

If "more than A1 and B1 but not everyone" was confused, use official's judgment.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Why would you presume that? He didn't say that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Why would you presume that? He didn't say that.
The context of the post was that after the throwin, the teams went the wrong direction with no mention of going the wrong direction before the throwin and several clues suggesting this was the first time they got turned around. If they had being going the wrong direction all along, then it would be a shooting foul as if they'd been going the correct direction and we'd redirect them to the correct baskets at that time.