The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Middle of fourth quarter. Home team coach chirping all game. We were trying to work with him the whole time. Finally he yells across the floor loud enough for all to hear : "You guys are really missing a good game." I had to whack him for insulting my intelligence. Score at the time was 64-17 Visitors.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

The whole game? What took so long?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Actually, the coach might have been right about something. You were missing a good game, just about any other game in town that night, because you were stuck officiating this game...
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Dang, I thought this thread was about something else

Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Middle of fourth quarter. Home team coach chirping all game. We were trying to work with him the whole time. Finally he yells across the floor loud enough for all to hear : "You guys are really missing a good game." I had to whack him for insulting my intelligence. Score at the time was 64-17 Visitors.
Obviously, the officials were responsible for the 47-pt deficit...or the coach has no clue how to coach.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Or maybe the other team was just loaded with much better players? Not possible, right?

Most basketball experts say that a good coach is worth MAYBE 5-10 points a game - do you really think a bad coach is solely to blame for a 47 point loss?

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tarheelcoach
Or maybe the other team was just loaded with much better players? Not possible, right?

Most basketball experts say that a good coach is worth MAYBE 5-10 points a game - do you really think a bad coach is solely to blame for a 47 point loss?

If a good coach is worth 5-10 points per game, how many points does a bad coach cost a team?

IMO, a good/bad coach is worth sooo much more. A good coach has his team prepared for so many things: He has his team in good condition. He has properly strategized for his opponnent. His players know how to defend properly. They know how to run an offense against whatever D is thrown their way. They box out before going for rebounds. They listen for their coaches instructions during the game. They make their free throws. His players show self control when things don't go their way. I could go on.

However, please understand that I do not think that if players do not do some of these things, it does not mean the coach is bad.

Good coaches seem to win even after players graduate. Does that mean that school only gets good players or does that mean they have good coaching who can prepare most any group of ballers?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Good coaches: Tim Floyd beat Ole Roy!

Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Frank.... I'm guessing girls varsity or some sort of sub-varsity. Who were the teams j/c. Shoot me an email.

John