The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

OK. another officiating-unrelated question but i'm sure you can answer it

a lot of times when i play 1-on-1 when i start losing by 4 or more i stop playing. i try to tell my self "Ok. i gotta put my bes tgame together now" but i just end up not trying. What can i do to get more confidence in myself? This occurs especially when my jumpers stop falling. I miss 3,4 in a row and every next miss i get frustrated. i understand that this will happen a lot (look at Iverson ), but what can i do? Just keep shooting so i can get my confidence up once i make some? Or just believe in myself?

I hoep you guys can help me out. If you know a good site where i can learn more, please give me the URL. Thanks
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Talking Relpy

The site that may help you is http://www.Nogame.com
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well.

It sounds like a personal problem to me. You either have the confidence or you do not. And the more you practice, the more time you play, the more confidence you will develop. Other than that, the rest is up to you.

Peace
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 01:05pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ilya
OK. another officiating-unrelated question but i'm sure you can answer it

a lot of times when i play 1-on-1 when i start losing by 4 or more i stop playing. i try to tell my self "Ok. i gotta put my bes tgame together now" but i just end up not trying. What can i do to get more confidence in myself? This occurs especially when my jumpers stop falling. I miss 3,4 in a row and every next miss i get frustrated. i understand that this will happen a lot (look at Iverson ), but what can i do? Just keep shooting so i can get my confidence up once i make some? Or just believe in myself?

I hoep you guys can help me out. If you know a good site where i can learn more, please give me the URL. Thanks
ilya,
What's this jump shot stuff?
I thought you were working on your dunking this year.
You have been working those weights haven't you?
mick
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Ilya --
I suggest you think of another goal besides winning in points. Aim for 10 blocked shots out of 50 shot, or only letting the dribbler past you once, or 40% 3-point shooting, or some such goal. When you make your goal, feel good like you would when you win by points. When you don't make your goal, try to analyze what went wrong and how you might do things differently. As long as you're not playing in the state championships, the point don't really matter as much as all the other skills. Think of your 1-on-1 sessions as developmental, not crucial.

Old Mon May 21, 2001, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

mick - i'm working on both. i got about 4 inches in 4 weeks of airaler II (www.airalert.com). starting week 5 now. i hope i can dunk by december, as i have a bet with a friend of mine about it
but i'm shooting more now too. i'm working on my freethrows a lot too as i'm a slasher. i like to drive inside

rainmaker:
my goal is to hit 75/100 FTs consistantly. also, i have a goal to shoot over 40% from downtown, like you said. i set it a couple weeks ago and really started working on 3s. i'm a lot more confident on 3s now, that's for sure

thx for your replys!