The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a very new ref. first year only officiated one game. i am 14 yrs old and officiated a 5th grade recreation game yesterday. and i was wondering if there was anything you guys do special to become a better ref?
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Find a mentor. Talk to that mentor as often as possible. Go to multiple basketball camps. Read many publications on officiating or buying tapes on the subject (Referee Magazine, this site, NASO). Work as many games as I can handle. Repeat the same thing every year. There is nothing magic there. Learning how to officiating is a constant, ongoing process.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard!

Work as many games as you can, and watch as many as you can.

When you watch basketball on TV, try to make a point to watch away from the ball. Keep an eye out for what the officials are watching. Then see if you are focusing on the same things when you work.

Best of luck!
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck to you. I would agree with everything above. Have fun and enjoy the game.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I try and get as many girls as possible because I look so good in stripes. Thats the reason we all ref...the girls

---James Dean
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Hey
I'm a second year guy, but I learned alot from the older guys. Just ask as many questions as possible, ask during half time or anytime you get a chance. Most of the guys you work with will want to teach you so just listen up and learn
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Work on positioning and mechanics, you are currently working a level where you will see everything. Place your nose in the casebook, rules book and manual. Do what everyone else stated. Good Luck!
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

If you know anyone who works HS varsity games in your town, ask if you can ride along and see how they prepare in pregame. I had the opportunity to travel with my mentor to a college conference tournament and hear a pregame done by an NFL official who also works NCAA Div II hoops when I was starting out as a newer and it was very helpful for me to hear what experienced guys were looking for, and that pregame works the same on every level.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Talking

All good advice. I also would add, go to a camp sometime in the next year or 2. I waited until I had worked some games to go to a camp. It was nice because I already had a decent foundation to work from rather than getting tons of suggestions and making my head swim. And don't forget, as my mentors put it, don't put up with any....uh, stuff from coaches. Edited for language.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Someone said to watch as much hoop as possible, but I would be cautious about watching too much NBA. That is where alot of misconceptions are formed by fans. Also, forget terms that are used by Billy Packer or turn down the volume when he is talking

Be sure that you control the things that you have direct control over. Work on your signals, strong signals can go along way in gaining credibility with partners, coaches, and assignors. Understand the rules inside and out. Hustle and look the part. Find a mentor and go to camps for additional training. The rest comes from getting as much experience as possible (working games).

Oh yea, one last thing, don't say "yea, but,...."

Good luck!

Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

agreed...

I suggested watching as much ball as possible...and I agree. Watch college (both men's and women's) rather than NBA. Watch the officials' eyes...ask the question "What are they looking at and why?"
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Doing all that will take some time, but do it.

In the mean time, you're still the ref and still in charge. Don't go out there and act mousy. Act like you know what you're doing. Look like you know what you're doing. Talk like you know what you're doing. That doesn't mean be cocky or condescending, but exude confidence. Fake it if you have to, but act confident. It'll help a lot as to how your calls are received.

Welcome to the fraternity
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Advise before your second game (if you already do this stuff, then do it again):
1. Tuck your shirt in.
2. Show up early for the game.
3. Read both the rulebook and casebook.
4. If you know someone who is a respected official, go watch his game and sit as close to the table as you can. Go in the dressing room with them before and after the game. Also at half-time if you can.
5. Blow your whistle like you mean it.
6. Have fun!
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Watch as many games as you can. Watch the next level up from yours, with the best refs that work that level. Also, watch the highest level games you can get to, to get an idea of where you're going.

Study the rules, and keep studying the rules. Use this board, read the books, go to training meetings, to study the rules.

Tape yourself working, and then watch the tapes. Get a very good ref from your area to watch your tapes and make suggestions.

Work as many games as you can. Keep a journal of your successes and failures. Don't ever give up.

It helps to be addicted. When you are breathing, eating and sleeping officiating, you get better a lot faster. If your first few games don't do it, try working an all-Saturday tournament where the refs go out for dinner together after it's over. If that doesn't hook you, take up needlepoint!
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Grow really, really, really thick skin!