The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dexter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23730-dexter.html)

BktBallRef Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23am

Can you tell me how to reset the most commonly used clocks to tenths of a second? For example, timer failes to stop the clock @ 7.5 seconds. I've yet to find a timer who could reset one to the exact tenth.

Drizzle Fri Dec 16, 2005 01:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Can you tell me how to reset the most commonly used clocks to tenths of a second? For example, timer failes to stop the clock @ 7.5 seconds. I've yet to find a timer who could reset one to the exact tenth.
Next time I'm in the gym I'll take a look at it to make sure I'm right here (before becoming a ref I have operated scoreboard/books since I was 12).

I believe: 'SET CLOCK' 00075 'ENTER'
Fair-Play is a commonly used system and is what I'm using.

blindzebra Fri Dec 16, 2005 01:46am

Set time,0, 0, :, 0, 7, 5, yes or enter.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 16, 2005 05:30am

It's just a matter of getting the right number of leading zeros.

Mark Dexter Fri Dec 16, 2005 06:38am

On most, you do something like drizzle says. Hit in a bunch of leading zeros, and then the seconds and tenths, followed by enter. Should be no different than setting any other timing situation.

Some clocks (generally older ones) that can display 10ths of a second can't actually be set to 10ths. (I've actually used clocks that can only be set to a given minute - you then count up or down from that setting to reach your desired time.) Unfortunately, I don't know if you're suffering from bad clocks or timer incompetency.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:09am

timer incompetency

bob jenkins Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:17am

Quote:

timer incompetency
Even if the clock can't be set to 1/10 of a second, a person with reasonable reflexes should be able to set it ot the next highest full second and quickly turn the clock on and off to slowly run down the time. Each "click-click" will be 1/10 or less. Just don't try to run it ".9, .8, .7, .6 .." and then stop it at the right time.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 17, 2005 08:44pm

The clock we used last night had a button that read, "Set Clock .1." It was pretty easy to press that button, then 0,7,5 for 7.5 seconds. Amazing the last two timers that I've had an issue with didn't know this.

caliref Sun Dec 18, 2005 04:27pm

Most of the newer Daktronics controls allow for setting the tenths. The All-Sport computers are pretty cool and have good AI (except when you have so many players fouling the roster gets full LOL)

Mark Dexter Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:20pm

Quote:

timer incompetency
Get your association to reimburse for travel (and send a small per diem my way), and I'll come do clock on any game you want!