The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball hitting the back board (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23727-ball-hitting-back-board.html)

readingofficial Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:15pm

I would like to know if a shot is allowed to be block legally after the ball hits the backboard. A1 goes for a layup as the ball hits the backboard it is still going up, and B1 bats the ball away. Is that a legal play, or would that be basket interference.

BktBallRef Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:28pm

It's a legal play if the ball isn't in the imaginary cylinder that has the rim as it's base.

If it's in the cylinder, it's BI.

JohnBark Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:06pm

could be Goaltending...

if the ball is on the downward flight after hitting the backboard.

ATXCoach Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:30pm

I could never jump high enough and I've always coached girls so needless to say I have no personal experience in this rule, but this contradicts everything I have ever heard.

I thought that once the ball hit the backboard (unless the shot clearly had no chance to score) it could not be blocked.

Is it different in HS, NCAA and NBA?

blindzebra Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ATXCoach
I could never jump high enough and I've always coached girls so needless to say I have no personal experience in this rule, but this contradicts everything I have ever heard.

I thought that once the ball hit the backboard (unless the shot clearly had no chance to score) it could not be blocked.

The back board is not mentioned in the goaltending rules in HS or NCAA, it is GT in the NBA.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:18am

Re: could be Goaltending...

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnBark
if the ball is on the downward flight after hitting the backboard.
He stated it was going up.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 16, 2005 05:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Originally posted by ATXCoach

The back board is not mentioned in the goaltending rules in HS or NCAA, it is GT in the NBA.

Yes, the NBA rule is different from the NFHS and NCAA rule on this play. It is illegal to touch the ball after it hits the backboard on a try in the NBA if it has a chance to go in.

In the NFHS and NCAA as long as the ball is NOT on its downward flight and is outside of the imaginary cylinder that has the ring as its base, it is fair game and players can swat it.

Someone will come along and provide an exact citation for reference. Perhaps there is even an NFHS interp on the play. I can't find a case book play on it. The BI and GT rules are 9-11 and 9-12 in the book and are defined in 4-6 and 4-22.