The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is this legal? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23723-legal.html)

TravelinMan Thu Dec 15, 2005 08:05pm

Would like the groups thoughts on this situation.

A3 in on the endline in the frontcourt for a spot throw. B2 is standing with his back to A3, inbounds. A3 is given the ball for the throw-in and throws the ball off of B2's back, steps inbounds, catches the ball before the ball hits the floor, takes one dribble and shots a lay-up for a basket. Is this legal?

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Dec 15, 2005 08:08pm

Yes, Legal.

BayStateRef Thu Dec 15, 2005 08:12pm

Yes. Throw-in ends when the passed ball touches another player. As long as the thrower is inbounds when he catches the ball, score the hoop.

Ref Daddy Thu Dec 15, 2005 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BayStateRef
Yes. Throw-in ends when the passed ball touches another player. As long as the thrower is inbounds when he catches the ball, score the hoop.
....touches <b>ANY </b>another player

BktBallRef Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TravelinMan

A3 in on the endline in the frontcourt for a spot throw. B2 is standing with his back to A3, inbounds. A3 is given the ball for the throw-in and throws the ball off of B2's back, steps inbounds, catches the ball before the ball hits the floor, takes one dribble and shots a lay-up for a basket. Is this legal?

Did you have reason to think it wasn't legal?

TravelinMan Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Did you have reason to think it wasn't legal?

Just an unusual looking play when it happened. I thought it was perfectly legal too. The defender was stunned and I wonder if it wasn't done intentionally by the throw-in team as a way of confusing the other team into inaction. hmmmmm.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:15am

Scottie Pippen used this play several times over the course of his career.

Ref-X Fri Dec 16, 2005 07:44am

I have seen this play several times over the years in college and the Pros. This is nothing new.

TravelinMan Fri Dec 16, 2005 06:39pm

Thanks for your replies. First time I had seen that play. My favorite was one where I had already handed the ball to A1 for a throw-in under A's basket and A2 walked toward him saying "No, I'll take it out" and A1 tossed it in to him and A2 quickly shot the ball and scored as team B players looked on in amazement. Seems a bit unsporting to me.

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 16, 2005 08:01pm

Quote:

Thanks for your replies. First time I had seen that play. My favorite was one where I had already handed the ball to A1 for a throw-in under A's basket and A2 walked toward him saying "No, I'll take it out" and A1 tossed it in to him and A2 quickly shot the ball and scored as team B players looked on in amazement. Seems a bit unsporting to me.
Only in the same way that "fishing" with dynamite is unsporting. :)

bellnier Mon Dec 19, 2005 06:52pm

I saw a home video taken at a high school game (on Fox TV, of course) where, as A1 was about to inbound ball to A2, A3 (on the opposite side of the basket) threw himself on the floor and began barking like a dog. Needless to say, A2 got an easy basket (for the win, I think). Definitely a bit unsporting...but funny as hell.

TravelinMan Mon Dec 19, 2005 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bellnier
I saw a home video taken at a high school game (on Fox TV, of course) where, as A1 was about to inbound ball to A2, A3 (on the opposite side of the basket) threw himself on the floor and began barking like a dog. Needless to say, A2 got an easy basket (for the win, I think). Definitely a bit unsporting...but funny as hell.
LOL! Guess you could say "that game's goin' to the dogs"!