The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb

As Basketball Officials We Allways Have To Prepare At The Begining Of The Season For New Rule Changes. If Given The Opportunity What New Federation Rules Would You Like To See Added To The Current Rules.
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
...make any shot from behind the division line 5 points!
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'd get rid of the lag time rule. If everyone in the gym (officials and timer included) knows that the whistle blew at 5 seconds, the clock should be set to five seconds, not four.
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

TOP 5!

1- Coaches are not allowed to request time-out. A player on the floor must do it.

2- Any foul by an offensive player would result in a turnover but never FTs.

3- Three seconds would only be a violation if the offensive player was in the lane for three seconds, and received a pass or rebounded a missed shot.

4- All sideline throw-in spots would be from the division line or the FT line extended, whichever was closer. Baseline throw-ins would be from just outside the FT lane on the appropriate side of the lane.

5- Technical fouls on the offense would not result in losing the ball for the offensive team.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun May 13, 2001, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Re: TOP 5!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
2- Any foul by an offensive player would result in a turnover but never FTs.
Tony- I understand all but this one. I'm sure you've got a good reason, though; flesh it out a little for me...

juulie
Old Sun May 13, 2001, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

If you think about it, a player control foul only results in the offensive team losing the ball. But an illegal screen or a push by a player trying to get open could result in a 1&1 or a 2 shot bonus. Why is there a difference?

Or how about a play where the dribbler loses control of the ball and runs over the defender. You have to decide if there was player control of the ball when the foul occurred. With my rule change, the penalty would be the same either way.

Does that help?

Old Sun May 13, 2001, 01:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If you think about it, a player control foul only results in the offensive team losing the ball. But an illegal screen or a push by a player trying to get open could result in a 1&1 or a 2 shot bonus. Why is there a difference?

Or how about a play where the dribbler loses control of the ball and runs over the defender. You have to decide if there was player control of the ball when the foul occurred. With my rule change, the penalty would be the same either way.

Does that help?
I think a better solution would be to not exclude player control fouls from free throws. Think about this - why is a pushoff less of a foul if made by a player with the ball as if made by a defensive player who doesn't have the ball? The advantage gained by the contact should determine if there is a foul that deserves free throws, not whether a player who fouls was dribbling or not. If you want the penalty to be the same either way, you either have to have no exclusions or all exclusions. I vote for no exclusions.

BTW - I have been lobbying for years to eliminate the possession part of the technical foul penalty because it penalizes an offensive team more than a defensive team for the same infraction. Apparently different levels agree with me. Perhaps, eventually the NF will too.

Also BTW - the NBA does use specific spots for throwins that result from virtually all violations. They only use the spot closest to the ball when the violation is that the ball went OOB. I don't really see any significance one way or the other. FYI - the NBA used to have a rule that if the ball went OOB, the defensive player nearest the ball when it went OOB had to be the new inbounder! This was a real time-saver, but they dropped it years ago.

One other rule change I would like to see is to go to the NBA rule on jump balls. Whatever team gets the opening jump gets the ball to start the 4th quarter with the other team getting it to start the 2nd and 3rd. All other held balls have a real jump. Let's bring the jump ball back to the game and drop the AP arrow in the ocean where it belongs.
Old Sun May 13, 2001, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I think a better solution would be to not exclude player control fouls from free throws. Think about this - why is a pushoff less of a foul if made by a player with the ball as if made by a defensive player who doesn't have the ball?

It's no different than the reasons that losing possession needs to be taken out of technical foul situations. In this sitch, the penalty is losing the ball. If you give FTs to a defender that took a charge, you've penalized the offense twice. You've taken the ball from them AND you've given the defender FTs. If you call a foul on the defense, there's just one penalty. I think that's the rationale behind the NBA rule and I would have to agree with it.

Quote:
One other rule change I would like to see is to go to the NBA rule on jump balls. Whatever team gets the opening jump gets the ball to start the 4th quarter with the other team getting it to start the 2nd and 3rd. All other held balls have a real jump. Let's bring the jump ball back to the game and drop the AP arrow in the ocean where it belongs.
Okay. I'll go along with that but for boys only. I've seen a lot of lower level girls' ball where there could be 20 held balls in a game. Imagine having a jump ball for each held ball in a 8th grade girls game!

Old Sun May 13, 2001, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

AP in girls' game

You think 8th grade is bad? I once kept book for a varsity girls league tournament game - and ran out of space to record the poss. arrow. At the end of the game, there were twenty jump balls called (doesn't include beginning of quarter) - all but one being actual tie-ups.
Old Sun May 13, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I would love to see only 5 players allowed on the lane during a free throw and to let the players enter lane on release. I think this would clean up the play in the lane during free throws better than 6 players and entering when ball hits rim.
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

The issue with players entring the lane on the release is that, on average, 50% to 60% of the time, the shot goes in. So there's all this jockeying for position that occurrs prior the ball hitting the rim that's totally unnecessary. That's why the rule was changed about 4 years ago.

Old Mon May 14, 2001, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I would like to see a note added to the fouls section alerting people to the fact that over-the-back and reaching in are in fact not fouls.

And maybe a 10 run, err 20 point slaughter rule.
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I like the 20 point slaughter rule...

... and the note in the book that over the back, and reaching in are not fouls. Put it on the cover!!
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I like the 20 point slaughter rule...

... and the note in the book that over the back, and reaching in are not fouls. Put it on the cover!!
There was an "experimental" rule a few years ago that the clock would continue to run when a team was up by a certain number of points in the 4th quarter. (If memory serves, Colorado was (on of) the "guinea pig" states for this.)

Apparently, it wasn't well enough received to make it to the rules book.
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 11:47am
Esteemed Participant

I like the NCAA rule on T's (point of interruption); I would like to see no shots on any "offensive" foul (when team or player control exists)...I have thought many times about a 35 second shot clock - in WA we have a 30 second clock for girl's games - but am not completely sold on the idea...on intentional fouls in the last minute or so of the game - you know, when the team behind purposely fouls to stop the clock - let the coach choose who gets to shoot the free throws and just have it be two shots with players on the lane...