The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Late in a close game. Team A awarded 2 free throws. A then calls Time Out.

A ignores first horn, second (offical) horn and beckoning from Referee. Team B all lined up neatly in the free throw lane .... waiting. A still huddling.

I'm administering Free throw. Whats the proper mechanic here?

I placed the ball on the floor at the free throw line and started my 10 count required for shooter to shoot. A trots on floor and shooter picks up ball while his team-mates are still filling in. Ooop's that a problem.

I reach 10 - I whistle and cancel the first free throw. Violation.

Re-set and he makes the second.

How bad did I blow this?

Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Late in a close game. Team A awarded 2 free throws. A then calls Time Out.

A ignores first horn, second (offical) horn and beckoning from Referee. Team B all lined up neatly in the free throw lane .... waiting. A still huddling.

I'm administering Free throw. Whats the proper mechanic here?

I placed the ball on the floor at the free throw line and started my 10 count required for shooter to shoot. A trots on floor and shooter picks up ball while his team-mates are still filling in. Ooop's that a problem.

I reach 10 - I whistle and cancel the first free throw. Violation.

Re-set and he makes the second.

How bad did I blow this?

AS soon as the offense violated -- the earlier of A1 entering the circle, or any A crossing the 3-point line -- call the violation. The rest was correct.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

The only way Team A can save the two free throws at this point is to request a time out. Once you put the ball at the disposal of the free throw shooter (place the ball at the spot), if they enter the circle or cross the 3 point line, it's a violation, without needing the ten second count.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

....if they enter, before the 10 second count has expired.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
The only way Team A can save the two free throws at this point is to request a time out. Once you put the ball at the disposal of the free throw shooter (place the ball at the spot), if they enter the circle or cross the 3 point line, it's a violation, without needing the ten second count.
Frank ....
So really there is nothing they can do. The shot is lost. Right?

Once I placed the ball at the FT line, they obviously have to enter the circle to get it, its effectivly lost.

So the mechanic is that. There is no requirement or precident to counting? Once the ball is placed after a beckoning and fair patience from referee - unless there is an additional TO called - its a mute point.

Correct?

Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Frank ....

Once I placed the ball at the FT line, they obviously have to enter the circle to get it, its effectivly lost.

So the mechanic is that. There is no requirement or precident to counting? Once the ball is placed after a beckoning and fair patience from referee - unless there is an additional TO called - its a mute point.

Correct?

The shot is NOT lost if they call a Timeout.

And it would be a moot point, not mute.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Once you place the ball at the free throw line, and you start the ten second count, if they (team A, because at that point, they are the only team that may request a time out) request a time out before the ten seconds expire,or, before they enter the circle, you may grant them a time out, and that would save the 2 free throws.

Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Quote:
Frank ....

Correct?

The shot is NOT lost if they call a Timeout.

And it would be a moot point, not mute.
I wish more coaches were mute.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once you place the ball at the free throw line, and you start the ten second count, if they (team A, because at that point, they are the only team that may request a time out)
OK, But if you place the ball on the ground at the FT line, and start the count, can they really call timeout? After all, there doesn't appear to be any team control OR player control here, but the ball is live.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 05:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Once you place the ball at the free throw line, and you start the ten second count, if they (team A, because at that point, they are the only team that may request a time out)
OK, But if you place the ball on the ground at the FT line, and start the count, can they really call timeout? After all, there doesn't appear to be any team control OR player control here, but the ball is live.
Yes, the rules say that they can call a TO.

Rule 6-1-2(c)--"The ball becomes live when, on a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower".

Rule 5-8-3(a)--"Time out occurs....when an official grants a players/head coaches oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted when the ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team".
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, I love you man.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh...the holiday season.

Can you feel the love?...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hell, I'll even love him when it's NOT Hannukah.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I realize that the way it's written, it's a violation. But IF the FED really intended for it to be a free-throw violation for the shooter to enter the circle once the ball is set on the floor, why do they have us go through this charade of counting to 10? Why not just call it an immediate free-throw violation for delay and be done with it? If the point is to give the offending team time to call another time out, then why not say that?

Although it's technically a violation, something just seems out of whack with calling it that way.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Mechanically speaking, if you were going to do this, would the Lead official put the ball on the line and the Trail official count 10 seconds? Or the Center in 3-person mechanics?