The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

1:27 Left in the fourth, visitor down by 4. Jump ball on the floor. Arrow points to visitor. Ready to inbound when scorekeeper blows the horn. Go to the table and official scorekeeper insists that the arrow is wrong. Should be to the home team. My partner and I huddle quickly and discuss and are fairly sure that the arrow is correct. Scorekeepers says there was another jump ball at the 3:07 mark. I look at the visitors book & it is identical to hers except for this last jump ball. My partner & I are 95% sure but not 100% that the arrow is correct. I go with the arrow and she is screaming my book is the only official book. Fortunately Home won in overtime and all is well. Without being 100% sure of you arrow what would you do?
P.S. It no no longer matters if the powers that be say not to keep the arrow in you pocket, I will be from here on out.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
1:27 Left in the fourth, visitor down by 4. Jump ball on the floor. Arrow points to visitor. Ready to inbound when scorekeeper blows the horn. Go to the table and official scorekeeper insists that the arrow is wrong. Should be to the home team. My partner and I huddle quickly and discuss and are fairly sure that the arrow is correct. Scorekeepers says there was another jump ball at the 3:07 mark. I look at the visitors book & it is identical to hers except for this last jump ball. My partner & I are 95% sure but not 100% that the arrow is correct. I go with the arrow and she is screaming my book is the only official book. Fortunately Home won in overtime and all is well. Without being 100% sure of you arrow what would you do?
P.S. It no no longer matters if the powers that be say not to keep the arrow in you pocket, I will be from here on out.
1. Don't let anyone at the table scream anything at you. You can ask them for input but once you make a decision they need to just shut up.

2. Never keep the arrow at the table or in your pocket. Keep it in your head next to something important - like your lock combination number and the location of your car in the parking lot.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
From 3:07 down to 1:27 and you forgot that jump ball? hmm... sounds unlikely. On the other hand, it's possible that the arrow had been screwed up earlier, and it just hadn't been noticed.

On the other hand, the scorekeeper should have been keeping track of the arrow all the way along, not only in her book, but also with the person who was clicking the buttons.

You have to use the home book in disputes between the two books, or to decide on something you're not sure about, but if you're sure, you do it your way. Home book is not the ultimate authority, only the penultimate.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

What would I do?

(1) Go by the arrow. The official book can be a great help for remembering what happened with the posession arrow, but you can't see a scorekeeper write down an extra held ball. It's reeeeeeal obvious (hopefully!) to everyone in the gym if the arrow gets switched when it shouldn't be.

(2) Get a new scorekeeper.

As a general rule, be suspicious of home timers/scorekeepers when mistakes/discrepancies favor the home team.