The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't been on the boards in a while so this may have already been discussed, but I missed it.

NFHS rules.
When a player on the floor gets a technical foul, does the coach lose his box? Must he remain seated after the technical?
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

As long as it is a PLAYER, the coach does not lose his box, nor must he remain seated. He only loses those priveleges when he or bench personnel recieve a T of any kind (direct or indirect). Now, if a player has been DQed for a 5th foul and then receives a T while he is still on the floor, but AFTER the coach has been notified of his disqualification, coach would lose his box.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Agreed- and I had a play happen like this in a tournament this past weekend... I had a bench technical and had my partner go over and give the HC the seat belt.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Let not forget pregame dunks. He must sit if anything happens during pregame.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Let not forget pregame dunks. He must sit if anything happens during pregame.
That's because the team members are considered bench personnel during the pregame warmups. They are not players yet. Therefore, the head coach gets hit with an indirect tech.

W & S 's response makes this clear.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

When a coach loses his box is he/she allowed to walk to another seat on the bench or must he pick one and stay they the duration of the game? How strictly is it enforced? Do you ever earn back the right to the box? Is the assisntant coach then allowed the box or is it a head coaching box only?

This is something that I have absolutely no knowledge of and haven't been on the receiving end of this punishment more than a handful of times.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 08:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ATXCoach
1) When a coach loses his box is he/she allowed to walk to another seat on the bench or must he pick one and stay they the duration of the game?
2) How strictly is it enforced?
3) Do you ever earn back the right to the box?
4) Is the assisntant coach then allowed the box or is it a head coaching box only?

1)You have to pick a seat and keep your butt in it, except that you can stand up to call a time-out, applaud a good play but you then have to sit right back down, replace disqualified players or go to the scorer's table to get an error rectified.
2) It seems to be strictly enforced in most states now, from what I've heard. Bench conduct was a Point of Emphasis in the rule book this year, and most states are instructing their officials that they want this called per the POE. There seems to be a deep concern out there about the antics of some coaches, and the general consensus was that officials as a whole were letting coaches get away with way too much.
3) No.
4) Assistant coaches NEVER have the right to stand while play is going on- for any reason. Ever.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
4) Assistant coaches NEVER have the right to stand while play is going on- for any reason. Ever.
Are you sure that you want to say that, JR?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you sure that you want to say that, JR?
I will stand and applaud that great answer.

I'm sure JR was just not himself - maybe he hadn't had a donut recently. But I do understand his line of thinking. Asst. coaches are under the same restrictions as players - they should not stand while play is going on - for any reason. Ever. (Well, almost ever...)

(Used with permission.)