The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Slap the back of the head or punch? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23635-slap-back-head-punch.html)

Larks Mon Dec 12, 2005 09:28am

Ok...we know what the book says is the signal for PC. The quesiton of the day is:

When A1 trucks over B1 (charge) when you signal prelim charge, do you punch (first straight out)or go behind the head as your signal?

On the floor, I punch. At the table reporting, I go behind the head.

Not asking what the book says here....I am asking WHAT YOU DO.

Ok then....Discuss

mick Mon Dec 12, 2005 09:46am

In Fed games, I go behind my head and punch on a solo whistle. CCA just punch.
At the table, I go behind the head.

IREFU2 Mon Dec 12, 2005 09:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
In Fed games, I go behind my head and punch on a solo whistle. CCA just punch.
At the table, I go behind the head.

If I am doing a girls game, i will just punch. If its guys, I go behind my head with a closed fist.

dblref Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:29am

Per my assignor, hand behind the head. Apparently, there were too many officials using the punch. I personally prefer the punch.

truerookie Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:54am

Hand behind head boys and girls for me.

devdog69 Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:20pm

I punch. I have only had one partner 'remind' me that the proper mechanic is behind the head. My assignor watched us in two games during a tournament last week and he didn't mention it, so I'll continue to do what I do. I also loudly say "offense" when I punch, so that may help.

tjones1 Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53pm

Girls or Boys (Fed): Behind the head & punch.

I have found myself not stopping the clock whenever I have a PC, trying to work on it. I just signal behind the head & punch. Anyone else have this problem?

mick Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1

I have found myself not stopping the clock whenever I have a PC, trying to work on it. I just signal behind the head & punch. Anyone else have this problem?

Tanner,
Stopping the clock can provide a moment to review what you just saw, and if you need the time to do it, to check that your partner isn't going *Block*.
mick

brianp134 Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:13pm

I always use the punch for Men & Women. I also haven't been stopping the clock prior to my signal for PC.

twref Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:23pm

Speaking from experience, when working with people you have not worked with much, just pointing can lead to "Blarges". In Federation Games and College Men I always stop the clock and then point. College Women I just point. I all situations I go to the head when reporting.

tjones1 Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:25pm

Quote:

Quote:

Tanner,
Stopping the clock can provide a moment to review what you just saw, and if you need the time to do it, to check that your partner isn't going *Block*.
mick

Very true Mick, any ideas on how to help me slow down?

mick Mon Dec 12, 2005 02:10pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tanner,
mick

Very true Mick, any ideas on how to help me slow down?

In my opinion, sure, Tanner.
In past the years the offensive foul had become a *Big Call* among basketball fans. Every time such a foul was called the fans went , "Ooh!!!, Ah !!" [<I>like during fire works</I>]
Many officials, who used to be basketball fans, proliferated the call, the myth, by over-selling the call as a *Big Deal*.
By changing the mindset that the offensive foul is no more, nor no less, than any other contact foul, the rush to make the call, and the adrenalin charge of the official, can be made the same way as we practice making technical fouls calls, that is professionally, succinctly and mechanically correct. ;)
mick

JRutledge Mon Dec 12, 2005 02:18pm

I always stop the clock then I signal with hand behind the head and punch at the same time.

Peace

tjones1 Mon Dec 12, 2005 02:31pm

I would certainly agree that the rush is to sell the call. I know I've seen it and am guilty of it myself on a block/charge call.

But, it is one of things I am working on and so far so good.

Taking Part II Exam tonight, should be fun.

mick Mon Dec 12, 2005 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I always stop the clock then I signal with hand behind the head and punch at the same time.

Peace

Rut,
That ever give you a headache?
mick