The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Topic!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2351-new-topic.html)

BigDave Tue May 15, 2001 11:28pm

Man!! We've beat those last few threads to death!

I know there is a new mechanic for the full timeout. My question is, what is it?

And if you don't know, a creative guess will suffice. ;)

JRutledge Wed May 16, 2001 12:14am

Pulling a string or taffy.

It is basically the double foul signal, but you start with your hands in front of your body, then pull them apart. And your hands are turned inward like you have something in your hands.

Illinois used this mechanic last year as an experiement. It is just a better way to signal a full timeout. Instead of yelling or having to guess, this signal gives a non-verbal way to make that clear.

Peace

mick Thu May 24, 2001 07:53am

Signal Chart Authorizes a 60-second time-out signal by placing the fingertips of both hands together in front of the chest and spreading the hands past shoulder width extending both arms parallel to the floor with palms extended and facing the table.

http://www.nfhs.org/sports/basketball_rules_change.htm

rockyroad Thu May 24, 2001 11:32am

OK...I have said this on McGriff's board, so will say it here also...what a dumb mechanic...I know all the arguments for adding it, but it still makes no sense...it was either a 30 sec. t.o., or a full t.o....why do we need a separate mechanic for both?? Especially a mechanic that looks as silly as this one...pulling taffy? Yuck! (Just my opinion)

dj

mick Thu May 24, 2001 11:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
OK...I have said this on McGriff's board, so will say it here also...what a dumb mechanic...I know all the arguments for adding it, but it still makes no sense...it was either a 30 sec. t.o., or a full t.o....why do we need a separate mechanic for both?? Especially a mechanic that looks as silly as this one...pulling taffy? Yuck! (Just my opinion)

dj

C'mon dj,
You mean to say you didn't have to do that in Womens' Ball?
mick

Brian Watson Thu May 24, 2001 12:33pm

I think it is less for us and more for the other bench and the table. YOu know that if you don't tell or signal everything they act like the world will spin off its axis.

Although, I always found humor in the other bench's asst. coach jumping up and down like a dork wanting to know if it was a full or 30. Just once I wanted to say, "does it look like a signaled for a 30?" Yep, I'll miss that.

bob jenkins Thu May 24, 2001 01:11pm

Quote:

dj

Yep -- and why have a foul signal for a technical foul. After all, if it's not holding, or pushing, or illegal use of hands, or PC, or handcheck, ... it must be a T.

And, why bother pointing in the home team's direction on OOB plays. After all, if you don't point in the visitor's direction, ...

mick Thu May 24, 2001 01:23pm

ya, but

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

dj

Yep -- and why have a foul signal for a technical foul. After all, if it's not holding, or pushing, or illegal use of hands, or PC, or handcheck, ... it must be a T.

And, why bother pointing in the home team's direction on OOB plays. After all, if you don't point in the visitor's direction, ...

Bob,
That pulling taffy thingy....
I think <b>dj</b> would agree there must be a better way.
My problem with that signal, although I used it almost all of last year (<i>it was a Michigan mechanic</i>), is that the first time I ever saw it, a weak official used it, and I cannot get that fact outa my mind. :(
mick

rockyroad Thu May 24, 2001 02:09pm

The purpose of a T signal or pointing whose ball it is on oob call is to communicate the info to evryone...if a team calls t.o. and I report it to the table and gice the 30 sec. signal, it's a 30 sec t.o., if I don't give that signal, it's a full t.o...the assistant coaches who jump around are still gonna jump around because they weren't paying attention when I gave the signal last year - adding a new signal is going to make them pay closer attention? I just don't see the need for this new signal...and yes, Mick, I had to do it all last season also - still think it looks stupid! All the other signals can be done with some style or zip, but "pulling taffy"? How do you do that with style? :)

dj

rainmaker Fri May 25, 2001 02:27am

Quote:

OK...I have said this on McGriff's board, so will say it here also.....why do we need a separate mechanic for both??
dj

I've said this on McGriff and I'll say it again here -- you need the mechanic for when you first blow the whistle, not later at the table. I had a game in February -- it was the final at a huge Jr Hi tourney. The gym was so full that the players couldn't step out of bounds if they wanted to, literally. And it was LOUD and I mean LOUDLOUDLOUD. You could barely hear the whistles, much less any verbal communication. I had a great partner and we did a lot of signalling, now here's the question. Coach yells time out, I blow the whistle, the game stops and everyone looks at me -- what's the signal? The players need to know what to do next, while I run to the table and report. Where do they go? If it's a violation they'll be at the sideline, if it's a foul, they'll be lining up for free throws, but how do I let them know to go to the bench? That's when you need a time-out mechanic.

rainmaker Fri May 25, 2001 02:32am

Quote:

All the other signals can be done with some style or zip, but "pulling taffy"? How do you do that with style? :)

To start with, don't drool, or smack your lips...

mikesears Fri May 25, 2001 10:11am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
To start with, don't drool, or smack your lips...
And MEN, try to maintain eye-contact with the table rather than looking down at your zipper! :D