The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   from the mouth of coaches..... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23430-mouth-coaches.html)

SeanFitzRef Fri Dec 02, 2005 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JCrow
Bad Coaching Experience

My worst night came at Girl's JV Game, the Coach was a middle aged woman. I called a Free Throw Violation on her Center for having her toe across the line.

The woman runs off the bench and gets right in my face. She screamed,

"You are the poorest excuse for an Official I ever saw! You are stupid, fat, out of shape and a sloppy PIG! You never played a minute of basketball or any other sport. You are so damn lazy that you'd need the Huble Telescope to make those calls. You're useless, hopeless and clueless....I hope you die!" She spit in my eye.

I was really hurt. My feelings were shattered. After that night holidays at my mother's were never the same.

Wow, teching Mom?!?! Watch the cranberry sauce, dude!!

JCrow Fri Dec 02, 2005 03:43pm

I couldn't Tech my own mother.....I just waved the Cop over to take her away. Dad still says he was too quick with the Tazer. Was I OK with charging her Team a TO for the time she was twitching around on the floor?

ChrisSportsFan Fri Dec 02, 2005 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Let's loose touch with that fascinating aspect of basketball where just about everybody thinks they do know the rules. Naissmith started 100 years ago with only 10 and now we have (unofficailly) over 600.

No sport compares with Basketball's fan involvement in calling and interpreting. Nothing in my experience is even close.

It is a fact that unless your an official your not going to be exposed to rule changes every season. It takes years for those in the cheap seats to learn them from game watching experience.

Thoughts:
Who started the "Over the Back" foul runmor?
Does Grandma know that only the Head one coach can stand?
Do Cheerleaders know the player can step back three feet or even run the baseline?
Will somebody tell Dad that they arn't walking if they don't try to get up?
Sorry Mom, the shirttail thing isn't my idea but it is a rule.

We all need to remember that fan's calls are just participants getting their moneys worth. It's part of the game. And our pay comes out of it.

Our job is enforcing rules and not teaching them.

Thanks, I think we pretty much expect that from the fans. :)
We're talking about the coaches for now. ;)

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Dec 02, 2005 05:11pm

Quote:

Let's loose touch with that fascinating aspect of basketball where just about everybody thinks they do know the rules. Naissmith started 100 years ago with only 10 and now we have (unofficailly) over 600.

First of all, I think you meant lose, not loose.

But now to my point, as far as I can tell, at least for NFHS, there are STILL only 10 rules. Yup, just pulled out the book, and all it has is Rule 1 to Rule 10. :D

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 02, 2005 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:

First of all, I think you meant lose, not loose.

But now to my point, as far as I can tell, at least for NFHS, there are STILL only 10 rules. Yup, just pulled out the book, and all it has is Rule 1 to Rule 10. :D

You forgot the most important rule: Rule 11. ;)