The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

My partner and I had different opions about what should have been called so I have to ask you guys.

7th grade girls partner (ref)checked the book for players and starters and everything checked out ok (@ 10 minutes). We start the game with the jump and 15 seconds into the game we get a whistle then a horn so my partners go to the table and is informed the wrong player started the game. #15 should have been playing instead of #54 according to the book.

Ruling he gave was no penalty play resumed (which I am glad 7th grade no need for a "T" to start the game no one said a word and we moved on).

At halftime we searched for a true ruling and could not find anything.

He felt it was no penalty because the tip took place and after the game started you can't charge them with a "T"

I felt there should be a "T" since it was caught right away on the 1st whistle.

Just curious what you guys thought.

Thanks
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Once the game has been started, there isnt a way to administer a "T" for that. That was an administrative techinical foul. The rule states that it is suppose to be penalized if discovered before ball becomes live to start game.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 09:03am
Never Stop Learning

This would fall under 10-1-2a which states "After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1: a. Change a designated starter unless necessitated as in 3-2-2a." This has to do with changing a starter due to illness,injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc. or to attempt a technical-foul free throw. The penality for doing this would be a technical foul if discovered before ball becomes live to start the game. Your partner was correct.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I would agree

I read this in the case book and read it wrong:

3.2.2 Situation A: Team A properly submits its team member list and designates its five starters. However, the number for each team member is erroneously indicated. The error is not detected until after the game has started.

Ruling: Only one team technical foul is charged regardless of the number of players and substitutes not wearing the number indicated in the scorebook. Each player must wear the number indicated in the scorebook or change the scorebook number to that which he/she is wearing. Any substitutes who become players and require the changing of the number indicated for them in the scorebook will not maximum technical has already been charged to the infraction. (10-1-1 Penalty)

Thanks!
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I had this exact scenario happen to me 3-4 years ago. We gave the team the T. Coach (visiting team) went ballistic that the scorer copied his players wrong and implied it was deliberate. He came very close to getting a T himself. Game ended up a blowout in his favor, so no harm. This was a Friday night and our association informally gathers at a local establishment after our games. When presented there, the split was about 50-50 as to what was the correct call. We got out our books and found we were wrong. Lesson learned the hard way for me.

The window to catch this infraction is fairly small and it would be difficult to detect. The opposing team and/or table would have really be on the ball to catch it.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
Coach (visiting team) went ballistic that the scorer copied his players wrong and implied it was deliberate.
As long as the list that was given to the scorekeeper is correct, there should be no T if it was copied incorrectly into the scorebook.