The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 09:32am
MPLAHE

I have noticed in our association that many officials who are at the lead will stand on the same side of the baseline as the trail when the trail makes a sideline throw-in in the frontcourt. Once the ball is in-bounded they immediately go back to the other side. Apparently this was taught in a camp at one time.

Do others do it this way? I see advantages and disadvantages in using this method.

Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Our association discourages this.

Our emphasis is always having as many players between the officials (2 man) as possible in any situation.

Also we discuss a an official "moving" rapidly is not the best observer of the game.

Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I don't rotate unless there's a reason to rotate across the lane. And then, I'm not going beyond the FT lane extended.

What's the L going to do if the throw-in goes to the other side of the floor and goes OOB? He's going to guess, that's what he's going to do.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 27th, 2005 at 12:59 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Two man, I'll come across on a throw in over there especially if it's nr or below the FT Line extended IF there's a crowd. The benefits outweight the possible missed line call on the other side. I will rotate back when/if the ball goes high or back into my original primary.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I cross over for the same reasons I will cross over when the ball is in play, to get the best look at my primary coverage area. I don't do it all the time, it depends on where the players are positioned. I wouldn't say always do it, I wouldn't say never do it. It depends is the best answer here.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

If all the players are on the T side of the lane (and it happens quite often during a throw-in), why not move over? After the throw-in ends and as players spread out, just return to balance the floor.

This is accepted practice and encouraged by out state association.

[Edited by BLydic on Nov 27th, 2005 at 01:21 PM]
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Just my thought but L isnt watching the ball anyway. Trail is watching ball on throw-in and L is watching off ball. If lead knows who ball went off he may not be watching what he is supposed to do. Where is the ball going on a throwin?

Being on the side of the paint with the ball is just anticipating the play. With Lead there at baseline where the play is most likely ending up looks a lot better than calling it from the other side of the paint or having trail call it.

On a throw-in from the side nearly all the players go that side of paint you still have ref-players-ref, you acually have a better chance of prvent officiating because the big guys who are jostling for position are on the ball side of the paint.... you get better lookat at the picks, and the crap by getting over there to watch it instaed of you being on the other side of the paint another two or three plus steps away from all the plays.

This is a strong side mechanic and the coverage for the throw-in isnt any different than if L goes to strong side for anyother reason. Or even if the ball goes OOB above FT line when Trail has the primary call on the OOB on the far side.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Lots of times, all ten players are on the trail's side of the court on sideline throw-ins in front court.

If the lead doesn't cross over when all ten players are there, when is the lead ever going to cross?

Get over there, the trail needs your help!

Z