The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Headband (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23357-ncaa-headband.html)

NDRef Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:50am

This is directed at those of us that work NCAA ball--particularily Women's NCAA. Do you understand the NCAA rule regarding headbands includes the "pre-wrap" types that we have seen the last few years? Meaning--they must be in similar color to the dominant color of the uniform, or white when that color is unavailable. I feel that Article 15a makes this clear that they are NOT ALLLOWED unless meeting the criteria uniform color or white (when color is not available). I have been enforcing this, but not all of my peers agree--some seem to feel the "pre-wrap" is exempt.

Lotto Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:56pm

We (NY HS girls, who use NCAA rules) were told that prewrap is still OK. I'd guess it's still OK under NCAA, since the only new rule talks about the color of headband allowed rather than the type. But you'll have to ask your assignor what they want you to do about this.

BOBBYMO Tue Nov 29, 2005 01:55am

I also would love to see a exact rule on this concerning "pre-wrap" The D-1 officials in my area are split in their thoughts/understanding of this rule so its been different every night depending on what the R's thoughts / understanding of the rule is.

If anyone out there has seen an exact ruling.. Please share it.

rockyroad Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:16am

Haven't seen an "official" ruling from Weston or Jacobs, but we were told in our annual meeting that pre-wrap is ok, just like the rubber bands some players wear to hold their hair back. The rule applies specifically to headbands...

M&M Guy Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:09pm

I asked that same question to both of my supervisors, but haven't heard back yet. Like rocky, I haven't seen anything official come out yet on headbands, other than the clarification that white is ok in the absence of the dominant jersey color. My guess is it's the same as a hairband. So, unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm just going to leave it alone.

Jimgolf Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:27pm

Quote:

Art. 15. Headbands that are non-abrasive, unadorned, single-colored (similar to the dominant color of the game jersey) and not wider than 2 inches are permissible.
a. Headbands made of cloth, elastic, fiber, soft leather, pliable plastic or rubber are legal.
b. One manufacturerÂ’s logo or one institutional logo/mascot which shall meet the restrictions of Rule 3-6 is permitted.

A.R. 21. Substitute A6 attempts to enter the playing court with a headband or wristband that is not in compliance with the single, dominant color of the game jersey.
RULING: Substitute A7 shall not be permitted to enter the game before either wearing the appropriate head band or wristband or removing them.

M&M Guy Wed Nov 30, 2005 08:12am

Well, my supervisor sent an e-mail to Barb Jacobs, and she e-mailed back that these are not considered headbands, therefore they are not covered by the headband rule.

So there is one less thing for us to worry about.

NDRef Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:02am

M&M is correct: Here is the email I received from Barb Jacobs:

The pre-wrap that women players are using to keep the hair out of their eyes and off their face does not fall under the head band rule. They can wear any color. These are not considered head bands.

Barbara Jacobs
NCAA Secretary/Rules Editor