The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in at start of quarter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23234-throw-start-quarter.html)

jeffpea Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:46am

Here's a simple question that I've never bothered to look up and have never been clear on the answer:

When administering a throw-in to start a quarter (at division line opposite the table), does the player stand OOB in his/her frontcourt or backcourt? What is the reason - other than "that's what the book says"?

I've administered it both ways (without problems) and would prefer not to screw up a simple task like this....

IREFU2 Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49am

I believe the player is suppose to be in the front court. I have done it this way.

mick Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffpea
Here's a simple question that I've never bothered to look up and have never been clear on the answer:

When administering a throw-in to start a quarter (at division line opposite the table), does the player stand OOB in his/her frontcourt or backcourt? What is the reason - other than "that's what the book says"?

I've administered it both ways (without problems) and would prefer not to screw up a simple task like this....

I always give the team a spot three feet toward the back court to eliminate FC/BC concerns.
mick

ChuckElias Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffpea
When administering a throw-in to start a quarter (at division line opposite the table), does the player stand OOB in his/her frontcourt or backcourt?
Huh? :confused:

So when you put the ball in play at midcourt, is the player supposed to be in the frontcourt or the backcourt? :confused:

I think the player's supposed to be. . . at midcourt.

mcdanrd Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:29pm

I administer the ball so that the player inbounding the ball will be straddling the half court line extended.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:45pm

Basically, I don't care where the little sh!ts stand. Anywhere close to center is good enough for me.

zebraman Fri Nov 18, 2005 02:05pm

The throw-in is at midcourt. I point to the spot. Like any other spot throw-in, they get a 3-foot wide area that they can move around in while making the throw-in.

Z

Lotto Fri Nov 18, 2005 04:38pm

The throw-in is from out of bounds, so is neither in the frontcourt nor in the backcourt.

refnrev Mon Nov 21, 2005 05:26pm

I always put it a step inside the back court -- about three feet -- for the same reason that mick does.

Dan_ref Mon Nov 21, 2005 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Basically, I don't care where the little sh!ts stand. Anywhere close to center is good enough for me.
Good answer...but what if he's a big sh!t??

Then what??!!!!

Jurassic Referee Mon Nov 21, 2005 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Then what??!!!!

He can stand wherever he wants.

Would you argue with a big sh!t?

Dan_ref Mon Nov 21, 2005 08:08pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then what??!!!!

You couldn't pay me enough to not argue with a big sh!t.

mick Mon Nov 21, 2005 08:18pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then what??!!!!

You couldn't pay me enough to not argue with a big sh!t.

http://members.cox.net/asmith150/ebay/images/phooey.jpg