The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

This is regarding correctable errors.
I believe that part (b) of this case has now changed.

It says (for those of you not close to your case book) that A1 is fouled prior to the bonus, but erroneously A1 is awarded a one and one. In (b), the error is discovered after A1 makes both throws.

Now, do your give the ball back to Team A or to Team B after you correct this error?

I believe that Last year you would give it to Team A (like the case book says).

But.... this year there is a definition of "Point of interruption" (See Rule 4 - definitions) and the point of interruption is "A throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such."

So.....I feel that this case play (b) should be modified so that Team B gets the ball. That is the point of interruption.....

Responses??
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I don't know the exact language in the NFHS rulebook, but the NCAA book says:

"When an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to correct the error...."

Here, the error occurred at the point where A1 was fouled. Since the FTs have been canceled, the PoI when A1 was fouled, so the ensuing play is A's throw-in at the designated spot.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JTRICE
This is regarding correctable errors.
I believe that part (b) of this case has now changed.

It says (for those of you not close to your case book) that A1 is fouled prior to the bonus, but erroneously A1 is awarded a one and one. In (b), the error is discovered after A1 makes both throws.

Now, do your give the ball back to Team A or to Team B after you correct this error?

I believe that Last year you would give it to Team A (like the case book says).

But.... this year there is a definition of "Point of interruption" (See Rule 4 - definitions) and the point of interruption is "A throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such."

So.....I feel that this case play (b) should be modified so that Team B gets the ball. That is the point of interruption.....

Responses??
If you read the entire 2.10.1 Sitch C, you see how they are interpreting the point of interruption for this play. Nothing has changed with the new POI rule.

Wow. Think about this for a minute. A gets two free throws. B just gets the ball inbounds, and then the table buzzes. After the obligatory conference, A gets their points taken away AND B gets the ball. Ouch!!

[Edited by rainmaker on Nov 21st, 2005 at 11:38 AM]
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie has it right

The object is to correct the error not compound it and hurt the other team because we were stupid