The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2001, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Scenerio--

Team A has next AP.

Team B (defense) forced held ball.

However, since B forced the held ball even though A has next AP. We still give the ball to Team B.

Now, Team A has next AP.

Is this correct? Why?

Old Thu May 10, 2001, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

I forgot....

could you reference this for me?
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF
Scenerio--

Team A has next AP.

However, since B forced the held ball even though A has next AP. We still give the ball to Team B.

Now, Team A has next AP.

Is this correct? Why?
I don't think so. This rule was in affect a couple of years ago, but they threw it out after one season, didn't they?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 01:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Scenerio--

Team A has next AP.

Now, Team A has next AP.

Is this correct? Why?
I don't think so. This rule was in affect a couple of years ago, but they threw it out after one season, didn't they?
TH, this was an expermental rule that they did last season. They did not adopt it the following year, which was this past season.
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate you response....

So it was "experimental". I was working a game Thursday and we had held ball situation. I was tableside; I gave direction and color (gold) and proceeded down court. Looked back and my very experienced veteran partner was giving ball to black. """this i had to question""" we huddled and of course everyone is jockeying for possession. We had about 3 rounds of, "are you sure because this is the way i see it" i let up when he said he hasn't used this one in awhile, however it is the correct call and then he administered the ball. I was fine with that, however I felt like I was in the tank the final 12Mins. Like, there was something that I didn't cover;Inadequate.

Swimming with fishes....

:-))
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: I appreciate you response....

Quote:
So it was "experimental". I was working a game Thursday and we had held ball situation. I was tableside; I gave direction and color (gold) and proceeded down court. Looked back and my very experienced veteran partner was giving ball to black. """this i had to question""" we huddled and of course everyone is jockeying for possession. We had about 3 rounds of, "are you sure because this is the way i see it" i let up when he said he hasn't used this one in awhile, however it is the correct call and then he administered the ball. I was fine with that, however I felt like I was in the tank the final 12Mins. Like, there was something that I didn't cover;Inadequate.

Swimming with fishes....

:-))
Next season, Men's only, experimental rule ("certified" games before 1 January 2002): Jump balls will be held at the center circle for all situations in which the AP arrow was used.
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I appreciate you response....

[/B][/QUOTE]

Next season, Men's only, experimental rule ("certified" games before 1 January 2002): Jump balls will be held at the center circle for all situations in which the AP arrow was used. [/B][/QUOTE]

I just don't see anything good coming of this. The AP Might not always be "fair", but I think it is the best we have.
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

TH, this was an expermental rule that they did last season. They did not adopt it the following year, which was this past season.
Yes, it was during the 98-99 or the 99-00 season. Dick Vitale made such a fuss about the AP arrow and giving the ball to the defense, that they changed the rule. But enforcement of it was difficult and confusing, even to the officials, in many cases.

For example, if there's no team control, then there's no offense or defense. So the arrow was used anyway. That really confused the announcers.

It wasn't the great change that everyone thought it would be. Quite honestly, I don't think there are that many held balls in college anyway.

Old Fri May 11, 2001, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Yes, it was during the 98-99 or the 99-00 season. Dick Vitale made such a fuss about the AP arrow and giving the ball to the defense, that they changed the rule. But enforcement of it was difficult and confusing, even to the officials, in many cases.

For example, if there's no team control, then there's no offense or defense. So the arrow was used anyway. That really confused the announcers.

It wasn't the great change that everyone thought it would be. Quite honestly, I don't think there are that many held balls in college anyway.
It's interesting that this change came about because
"experts" kept saying how it's a shame to not reward
good defense by giving the held ball back to the
offense when they have the arrow.
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
It's interesting that this change came about because "experts" kept saying how it's a shame to not reward good defense by giving the held ball back to the offense when they have the arrow.
I reason that the Defense is rewarded by "capturing" the A/P arrow. Maybe the Offense should be rewarded for not turning the ball over to such great Defense (through a violation or steal).
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

It's interesting that this change came about because
"experts" kept saying how it's a shame to not reward
good defense by giving the held ball back to the
offense when they have the arrow.
Dickie V. and Bill Rafferty are the two "experts" that I remember bellowing about it the most.