The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

If a defensive player reaches across the OOB line and touches the ball and is given a technical foul is it also a personal foul to his total and a team foul to the total?
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yes and yes.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks - Chuck
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Waddya know......FIBA is exactly the same

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
For once the FIBA rules are the same :P I wouldn't T a player for reaching OOB though, but if you do T a player it counts on a personal and team foul in FIBA too
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Yes and yes.
Chuck,

Are you NFHS and NCAA exactly the same on this rule?

Jay
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

For NFHS:

Now strictly speaking this player technical foul is not one of his personal fouls. While it does count as one of his five fouls towards disqualification, it still does not morph into a personal foul. In this case, the player in question would be disqualified after committing four personal fouls or another technical foul.
It certainly counts toward the team foul count.

For NCAA:

There is some uncertainty in the NCAA rules whether merely touching the ball while it is in the thrower's hands is a technical foul or just a violation. Here is the NCAA approved ruling:

"A.R. 8. After a field goal by B1 with two minutes left to play: (a) B2 reaches through the end-line plane and slaps the ball from the hands of A1 or touches the ball as it is
passed along the end line after the score; or (b) after a warning, B2 prevents the ball from being promptly put in play by slapping the ball away. RULING: In (a) and (b),
an indirect technical foul shall be charged to B2 for delaying the game. When A1, in making the throw-in, reaches through the end-line plane into the playing court and
B1 slaps the ball from the hands of A1, without B1 breaking the plane above the end line, B1 has not committed a violation because the ball is in play once it crosses the
end line."

Furthermore, notice that this is an INDIRECT T, which adheres to the following rule:

Art. 2. Indirect technical fouls shall count neither toward a playerÂ’s five fouls for disqualification nor toward the team-foul total.

So, the NFHS and NCAA do handle this a bit differently.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Yes and yes.
Chuck,

Are NFHS and NCAA exactly the same on this rule?
My answer was for FED. Nevada gave you the NCAA answer while I was misspelling "exhibit".
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Now I'm LOL with ya. Just remember what they say. (We're laughing WITH you, not at you.)

Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

"When A1, in making the throw-in, reaches through the end-line plane into the playing court and B1 slaps the ball from the hands of A1, without B1 breaking the plane above the end line, B1 has not committed a violation because the ball is in play once it crosses the end line."
Is this also true in NFHS? Once the ball is held over the end line it is fair game, (except in the case of a smaller court where there is not enough space behind the inbounder)?
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

"When A1, in making the throw-in, reaches through the end-line plane into the playing court and B1 slaps the ball from the hands of A1, without B1 breaking the plane above the end line, B1 has not committed a violation because the ball is in play once it crosses the end line."
Is this also true in NFHS? Once the ball is held over the end line it is fair game, (except in the case of a smaller court where there is not enough space behind the inbounder)?
Yes -- once the ball is on the inbounds side of the boundary line (or restraining line, if it's being used), the defense can touch or grab the ball.

Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

NFHS

9-2-11 NOTE: The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area before the ball is released on the throw-in pass. The opponent in this situation may legally touch or grasp the ball.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Indirect to player or coach?

Question for NCAA reaching through and slapping ball.
I don't know if I'm citing this correctly but...

Rule 10-3.20, A.R.8. says an indirect technical charged to player B2 for delay (for the action of slapping the ball out of the hands or touching a passed ball on the OOB side).

But then...

Rule 10-4.5 says "Indirect technical fouls as described in Rule 10-3.1 through 10-3.7 and 10-3.20 shall be charged to the head coach of the offending team but do not count toward ejection."

(page BR-139 of the book)

So, do you charge an indirect technical to both the coach and player? Do these rules contradict each other or am I reading something wrong?
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Indirect to player or coach?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
Question for NCAA reaching through and slapping ball.
I don't know if I'm citing this correctly but...

Rule 10-3.20, A.R.8. says an indirect technical charged to player B2 for delay (for the action of slapping the ball out of the hands or touching a passed ball on the OOB side).

But then...

Rule 10-4.5 says "Indirect technical fouls as described in Rule 10-3.1 through 10-3.7 and 10-3.20 shall be charged to the head coach of the offending team but do not count toward ejection."

(page BR-139 of the book)

So, do you charge an indirect technical to both the coach and player? Do these rules contradict each other or am I reading something wrong?
IT's unclear, but I think the reference to 10-3.20 in 10-4.5 is only referring to the "THis shall also apply to bench personnel" sentence of 10-3.20