The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

First let me start by telling you that I'm an umpire. I've never called a basketball game in my life! I have been an umpire for over 15 years though, so I share a kindred spirit with you.

I've never really paid that much attention to the work you guys do on the court. I just watch the game and enjoy it for the love of the sport.

Today was the first time that I really took notice of just how difficult of a task you guys perform.

My son is a member of the freshman team for his high school. This afternoon, they played in a unique season opening one day elimination tournament for the schools in our area.

24 teams were represented in this event. The teams played each other in single elimination games that were only 7 minutes in length.

The same two ref's did all the games with only one break. These guys busted their asses out there. I thought I had it bad working multiple games in mid July heat, but these guys made me feel like a wuss by comparison!

I don't know how you guys stand all the *****ing an whining the coached do. I'd have dumped most of the coaches in the first 2 minutes of each game!

Again, hat's off to ya fella's, keep up the good work!

Tim.