The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

I started taking the job of shot clock operator and it was all well. I've only officiated games up to high school so I was wondering if there are any special things college officials like their shot clock operator to do that I wouldn't know unless I officiated a college game.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
I started taking the job of shot clock operator and it was all well. I've only officiated games up to high school so I was wondering if there are any special things college officials like their shot clock operator to do that I wouldn't know unless I officiated a college game.
Be slow on resetting the clock:

1) Wait until team control has clearly changed.
2) Wait until the official has reported to the table before resetting the clock.

Know the time on the game clock each time the clock shot is reset.

Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

How about on a missed shot the clock is reset to 35 once it hits iron but then no one team gains control until the clock is at 32, do I let it run from 32 or do I reset it again once a team gains possession.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Section 11. Shot Clock
Art. 1. The team in control shall attempt a try for field goal within 35 seconds for men and within 30 seconds for women after any player on the playing court legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in or when a team initially gains possession of the ball from a jump ball, an unsuccessful try for field goal or a loose ball.

The above is the NCAA rule. It makes it clear that you need to reset the shot clock when a team initially gains possession after rebounding an unsuccessful try for goal so that this team gets its full 30 or 35 seconds.

Most shot clock operators hit AND HOLD the button when the try hits the ring. They only release the button once a team gains possession. That avoids having to reset the clock twice.

Just remember to start the shot clock on any touch when play resumes with a throw-in, in this case control is not required.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Most shot clock operators hit AND HOLD the button when the try hits the ring. They only release the button once a team gains possession. That avoids having to reset the clock twice.
I've worked shot clocks where there was no "hold" on the button, so I had to reset twice.

Oh, and make sure that after a score you don't start the shot clock until the ball is touched in bounds on the throw-in.